Close

Newbie to 3D Printing

Yes the subject is true, but I already got some fundaments down already.

I hope to start making some 3D models soon.

Any recommendation for a newbie like myself in 3D CAD software?

Also there was a model that I saw online on MyMiniFactory called - Magical Mushroom Lady - but when I goto download the file I get an 404 error code from the website.

Thanks for your inputs!
    Tinkertron - Dallas, Texas

Oh I guess it would be helpful if I mention what I have - Ender 3 Pro

Staff Engineer
    You will get many dozen recommendations. What have you tried or found thus far?
    A few of us here are fans of OpenSCAD, but it's not for everyone.
    Fusion 360 (free hobbyist version) is also popular, as is OnShape.
    For the most basic of programs, Tinkercad, free, web-based can do many things.
    For organic (curves, bumps, roundy-round stuff) there's Meshmixer. On the challenging side, Blender.

Stay away from SketchUp, as it creates non-manifold objects more often than not.

There are others.

I can confirm that the mushroom lady file is no longer available.

For starters I would recommend Tinkercad. That's what I started with, and still use a lot. I am starting to learn Fusion 360 now but Tinkercad is free and fairly easy to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    You will get many dozen recommendations. What have you tried or found thus far?
    A few of us here are fans of OpenSCAD, but it's not for everyone.
    Fusion 360 (free hobbyist version) is also popular, as is OnShape.
    For the most basic of programs, Tinkercad, free, web-based can do many things.
    For organic (curves, bumps, roundy-round stuff) there's Meshmixer. On the challenging side, Blender.

Stay away from SketchUp, as it creates non-manifold objects more often than not.

There are others.

I can confirm that the mushroom lady file is no longer available.
    So far I have only used Cura to slice .stl files to .gcode and printed to models, like mods for my Ender 3 Pro, haven't created any modeling just yet, it seems abit intimidating.

Staff Engineer
    If you find a particular aspect to be problematic or intimidating, post here with a question or two with details and someone will have an answer. It helps (may be a requirement) to have a project in mind when attempting to learn a new program. The above-referenced programs take different approaches to creating models. Tinkercad, Meshmixer and OpenSCAD are object primitive type programs, while OnShape and Fusion 360 are sketch-based programs. Blender does both types of generation.

I am new too, i got my first machine a few days ago.But i feel i can give this advice, something i found very useful. First look around for cool 3d models, print some.Then lookup a tutorial in 3d modeling for 3d printing, do something very simple and print it. Here comes the key part, now find a model you like and modify it by putting maybe your name on it, or somehthing silly. Even maybe try combining two models into 1.Before you know it you will be designing your own things.The process can be simplified as thisFind modelModify ittry to design your ownprint itGo to begining and find another model.

Quote Originally Posted by annacoblin0789 View Post
    My advise is that you need to buy a new one....
    And OP gets his first snarky response.

I solved the design problem by having my son do it with Cura.
    I'm not about to learn a new programming language, which is how you design with it.
    Nice program though. He sends me the .stl file, I run them through a slicer and print the Gcode.

Staff Engineer
    I suspect that the post was merely to get past moderation, preparing to post garbage in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl_Myk View Post
    And OP gets his first snarky response.