Close

I need some help. New Ender 3 Pro

I am new to the 3D printing world. everyone recommended an ender 3 so I got one on sale around Christmas. I have had it for about a week and a half now and I cannot get it to run right. The extruder just keeps popping and skipping. I got it to work for a few days for a few small prints getting a successful benchy and a few other things. But it is not at all consistent. it works for a bit then stops. and I haven't been able to get it to print anything in the last 5 days. I just walked away for a day because I just didn't want to anymore.
    I have read a lot online about how my print head could be to close to the bed. so I've tried releveling it about 500 times now. I thought it just kept clogging so I take the hot end apart every time it does it and clean it all out and nothing. I Tried doin g a "cold pull" as someone on a forum suggested with no avail. I got a new filament and it ran fine for about half a print and then just went back to its "normal" not working state. I have tried running the hot end at different temps. I honestly have tried just about everything that people have said to try. I imagine there is tons I haven't tried or I simply have to be doing something wrong because this is a brand new printer and I'm not trying to do anything special. I am just trying to print pretty basic PLA items.
    I am honestly very frustrated because I know these are good printers just seeing what people have made with them. I just cannot get it to run/run consistently.
    So being a car guy at heart the forum gods out there answer all so here I am. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I would love some help from you experienced people out there.
    Thank you to anyone that puts there input in here and I appreciate your time.
    Also since it is that time of the year... MERRY CHRISTMAS

It does sound like the nozzle is plugging. Have you tried a new nozzle?

Quote Originally Posted by jdvass View Post
    It does sound like the nozzle is plugging. Have you tried a new nozzle?
    Yes I did try and replace the nozzle. That was one of the first things I tried. It didnt change anything. And what would it sound like if it was "plugging"??

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Like all other 3D Printers the Ender 3 is no exception to experiencing problems.
    Clogging nozzle could be as simple as the Filament tube not being pressed far enough into he Hot-end

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabell46 View Post
    Yes I did try and replace the nozzle. That was one of the first things I tried. It didnt change anything. And what would it sound like if it was "plugging"??
    A clogged nozzle can cause under extrusion, not enough melted filament coming out, or if clogged bad enough cause your extruder to skip as you described. It is trying to feed the filament in faster than it can come out of the nozzle. The video That Roberts_Clif pested above is great.

What temp settings are you using?
    I use 215 and 60 for PLA.

Student
    Add Japhenon on Thingiverse
    I had some of these same issues with mine in the first week and most of what you said you tried seems to be right on par. The few things I noticed is that my Boden tube was a bit loose, which caused some issues with filament feeding. I reset the tube all the way down and put some clips on both ends. I did print an extruder knob which really helps me see if I am feeding or not. If the tube is slipping out during print it can cause clogging after a while.
    Use something like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4256653

I have even had the issue with my level being wrong and the extruder tip making too much contact to the bed so that it cant extrude any filament. (This happened after a difficult removal, I guess I messed up the level and made the newb mistake of not rechecking it.
    ) That one took some time to figure out and some nice bed scratches!! This would only really show up on your first couple of layers though.

The only other recommendation I have is put out a feeler on Facebook marketplace or something like that for someone in your area to come help you. Getting a more knowledgeable pair of eyes on it might really help. You might check local college engineer program or something like that.

Good luck and don't give up!!
    Japhenon

If the extruder is popping and skipping, the filament is probably damp. Get some desiccant in a tub and dry it.