Close

Student

Modeling app that does offset booleans?

I am looking for an affordable or free modeling app that does offset booleans. Ay suggestions?The ability to set separation tolerances for parts that fit together makes modeling sooooo much easier. I used to use OnShape, and really liked it, but it has become too expensive.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add jamcultur on Thingiverse
    OpenSCAD is free, and you can code separation tolerances in it.

Student
    Thanks! I’ll check it out.

Student
    Yikes, OpenSCAD is a bit too programmy for me. I’m more of a drawer than a programmer.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add jamcultur on Thingiverse
    If you're not comfortable with programming, I'd suggest starting with BlocksCAD (blockscad3d.com). It is an easy to use version of OpenSCAD intended to teach programming to children.

Staff Engineer
    Even though it's challenging to navigate to the correct license location, Fusion 360 is still free for hobbyists and is more like OnShape than anything else out there. It can be fully parametric as well. I'm a fan of OpenSCAD, but recognize that it's not for everybody. BlockSCAD is pretty limited if one is creating sophisticated models, in my opinion. I've tried in BlockSCAD some simple models previously coded in OpenSCAD and found the software can't do it. Research effectively shows "we don't implement that capability." No big deal but BlockSCAD is indeed limiting in many ways.

There are many affordable modelling softwares and apps .One of them is AUTO CAD which is extensively used .You can visit best free cad software to find modelling softwares for free.