Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Error when starting up Two Trees Sapphire Plus for the first time

Hi,So, having finished the build, I think, of my Sapphire Plus, but not having any operating instructions, I decided to just plug it in to see what would happen. Turned on the power, immediately got a single beep, and when the screen list up, it has a small message at the top "Err2". I was able to navigate a little within the screens, and was able to find out that the firmware is Robin_nano35, V2.0.1. Any ideas on where to look to find some documentation on this?I'm also having a problem feeding filament, but one thing at a time. :-)Thanks for any guidance you might be able to provide.Ron

Any luck?

I just got the same printer, same firmware, and am also having the Err2. Noticed a few menu options don't seem to work, such as manual movement. Which is strange... as homing works and I've already tested the limit switches and pre-leveled the bed. Is this the same for you?

EDIT: After further investigation, I think Err2 means the "Nozzle exceeds maximum temperature limit". Old firmware codes (but I suspect they're still applicable) can be found here: https://github.com/makerbase-mks/MKS-Robin/issues/135
    What confirms this, is I noticed for me the issue is intermittent, and when the Err2 displays, the preheat tool screen shows the nozzle is 330, yet the nozzle is not hot at all. So I suspect either a bad connection, or a bad wire for the Extrusion Head 1 interface to be the culprit.

For filament, you need to manually feed it through the dual drive extruder all the way to the nozzle, then use the filament tool. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Rury; 12-18-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Hi, I've been talking with the folks at two trees, and after some diagnosing, they've decided to sent me a new "thermal". Now, I don't know if that means they're sending me a new extruder and cable, or just the thermistor or what. And, yes, apparently, the Err2 is indicating there might be break in one of the wires that goes to "Extruder head 1 thermal" on the motherboard. Yeah, I found that error message as well after a bit of a treasure hunt.

Ah, so I need to feed the filament through the dual drive extruder and through the longer tube all the way into the extruder. I get blocked after pushing a bit into the dual drive extruder, so I hoped maybe that meant the filament tool would activate the motor on it and push it the rest of the way. I get I need to loosen up something in the dual head extruder.

On leveling...my printer came with 2 z-axis limit switches as well as a "3D Touch" unit and cable. The cable not only had the wrong connectors but it wasn't long enough, so I just ended up making my own cable. Then I found out that the 3D Touch uses the same motherboard plug slot as the z-axis limit switches, so you can only have one or the other. So, right now, I put the 3D Touch aside and am just using the z-axis limit switches. Haven't tried leveling the bed yet.

Browsing around the menu, I also found that the movement buttons don't work, but I chalked that up to the effects of the Err2 message. There's also a chance that those buttons are actually making micro movements, and I just can't see them. But I'm pretty sure they're just not doing anything at this point.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I'll post more as I find out more.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it sounds like you've definitely wired it up wrong.

Both limit switches and the bed leveller should definitely be able to be plugged in at the same time.

I haven't bothered using the using the BLtouch either. I just homed and manually leveled the bed using a piece a paper for now. But as aardvark mentions, the Bltouch should definitely be able to be wired up without having to disconnect the Z limit switches.

As for the Err2, mine has now reliably gone away after noticing the connection for the wire going into the Hot 1 Interface on the motherboard wasn't tightened very well. Tightening it solved my issue. And yes, after Err2 is gone, the movement tool and all the menu options now work properly.

I think I'm all setup for my first test print, but unfortunately my computer doesn't have a micro SD card slot. Waiting on an external one to arrive so I can begin testing.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post

Both limit switches and the bed leveller should definitely be able to be plugged in at the same time.
    I was hoping that that was the case, but it was the tech support guys at Two Trees who told me that you can only have one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Rury View Post
    I haven't bothered using the using the BLtouch either. I just homed and manually leveled the bed using a piece a paper for now. But as aardvark mentions, the Bltouch should definitely be able to be wired up without having to disconnect the Z limit switches.

As for the Err2, mine has now reliably gone away after noticing the connection for the wire going into the Hot 1 Interface on the motherboard wasn't tightened very well. Tightening it solved my issue. And yes, after Err2 is gone, the movement tool and all the menu options now work properly.

I think I'm all setup for my first test print, but unfortunately my computer doesn't have a micro SD card slot. Waiting on an external one to arrive so I can begin testing.
    Hmm, I'll go back and recheck those connections. The cable to the extruder was already connected when I got the printer, so I hadn't paid much attention to that.

Isn't there a slot on the side of the printer where you can plug in the SD card? Just to the left of the USB plug on the right side of the printer?

20201223_115035_resized.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post

So, would the BL Touch plug into something other than the z-axis limit switch slot on the motherboard? That's where the techs told me it plugs in. Sounds like I need to do some more homework on the BL Touch.

Thanks again.

Ron

I sent an email to the folks at Makerbase, who provide the motherboard that the Sapphire uses, and they confirmed that if you use what they call the "double z", that is, 2 z-axis limit switches, you can't use the BLTouch. Now, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there might be more flexibility if you swap out the firmware with a different piece of software, "Marlin", maybe, but that might have been just been conjecture.

For now, I'm going to recheck the connections, as Rury suggested, and then maybe spend some time browsing the menu items while I wait for the replacement parts to arrive. Still a lot to figure out, at least for me to understand it better.

Thanks again for your help.

And the adventure continues. Just following up here to keep the story going, I guess...

TwoTrees said that they were going to send replacement parts on December 20. So I waited and waited and waited, figuring it would take awhile to send the parts. About a week ago, I started following up to see what was going on. I was told that support would check with customer service to get a status. The next thing I hear, today, is that they need my phone number because "detailed information is needed for reissue". Now this is after sending them descriptions and pictures of what was going on. And sending them the original invoice information. So, basically, it sounds like, after a month, they haven't done anything. Pretty disappointing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast