Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training

New to 3D Printing and need some help.

So I am new to 3D printing and recently obtained a 3D printer for free. I am prototyping the printer for a company that will remain unnamed.

It has "The Replicator 7.5" firmware and prints in .x3g files. So I have been working with replicatorg and using the Slic3r gcode profile within replicatorg.

I wanted to know if there was another freeware program to help me generate gcode for the machine and convert it to the proper .x3g file. I know there is the Makerware software but I do not like the simplicity and that you can only select a few settings when printing.

I have been looking into the Simply3D software and wanted to know if it is worth the $140.00 pricetag? I do like usingSlic3r over Skeinforge within replicatorg for the fact that it has a lot of settings but is a lot more simple then skeinforge.

So far I have only had 1 successfull print, it was a design that I made and printed. A simple cylinder with a hole in the middle, so now I am playing with the gcode settings to help me print more complicated prints. I am getting frustrated and just trying to refine my techniques for generating gcode and trying to find what my machine likes but I find with replicatorg it really is a hassle.

This is one reason why I was looking into Simplfy3D. Does anyone know if it would work with the .x3g file, I noticed they accept the Replicator series of printers which is what mine is modeled after.

Also does anyone have a good link or two to different calibration techniques for the extruder? I have googled and come up with 10 different techniques.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I'd like to welcome you to this forum. There are a lot of helpful people here and I'm sure you'll get some assistance. I don't use your type of printer or firmware so I can't personally help, but someone will. Good luck.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    So I am new to 3D printing and recently obtained a 3D printer for free. I am prototyping the printer for a company that will remain unnamed.

It has "The Replicator 7.5" firmware and prints in .x3g files. So I have been working with replicatorg and using the Slic3r gcode profile within replicatorg.

I wanted to know if there was another freeware program to help me generate gcode for the machine and convert it to the proper .x3g file. I know there is the Makerware software but I do not like the simplicity and that you can only select a few settings when printing.

I have been looking into the Simply3D software and wanted to know if it is worth the $140.00 pricetag? I do like usingSlic3r over Skeinforge within replicatorg for the fact that it has a lot of settings but is a lot more simple then skeinforge.

So far I have only had 1 successfull print, it was a design that I made and printed. A simple cylinder with a hole in the middle, so now I am playing with the gcode settings to help me print more complicated prints. I am getting frustrated and just trying to refine my techniques for generating gcode and trying to find what my machine likes but I find with replicatorg it really is a hassle.

This is one reason why I was looking into Simplfy3D. Does anyone know if it would work with the .x3g file, I noticed they accept the Replicator series of printers which is what mine is modeled after.

Also does anyone have a good link or two to different calibration techniques for the extruder? I have googled and come up with 10 different techniques.
    I would not go with Simplify 3D. Sometimes people can simplify things too much, and I feel in their case that's what they did.

http://www.simplify3d.com/support/faq/

The software currently supports the 2 most common 3D printing file formats: STL and OBJ files. STL is the most common (and recommended) while OBJ is used more for graphic design. Thingiverse typically uses .stl files and virtually every CAD program is capable of outputting to this format (although some packages such as Google Sketchup may require an additional plugin).
    Makerware and ReplicatorG are all I've relied on and have gotten me thus far, so that's all I can suggest really. Makerware has alot of features Repg misses, like the print preview so you can see what it will look like with supports etc.

You could try Cura, but not knowing your machine exactly I couldn't say if it would work, as far as I know they wont connect to replicators, only Ultimakers and a couple of others.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I would not go with Simplify 3D. Sometimes people can simplify things too much, and I feel in their case that's what they did.

http://www.simplify3d.com/support/faq/

Makerware and ReplicatorG are all I've relied on and have gotten me thus far, so that's all I can suggest really. Makerware has alot of features Repg misses, like the print preview so you can see what it will look like with supports etc.

You could try Cura, but not knowing your machine exactly I couldn't say if it would work, as far as I know they wont connect to replicators, only Ultimakers and a couple of others.
    Thank you for replying! When you run repg do you use the skeinforge or slic3r profile when cutting gcode?

Also, can anyone help me with the calibration print I have included pictures as attachments.

I have printed this tube 4 times and the final print is my best so far and is the one included. I am trying to fix the top layer of the cube and fix the sag on the two cut outs.

To fix the sag I have set the retraction to 1.4mm and to try to fix the top layer I have set the infill to 20% with a line fill at 90*.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am trying to fix the top layer of the cube and fix the sag on the two cut outs.

To fix the sag I have set the retraction to 1.4mm and to try to fix the top layer I have set the infill to 20% with a line fill at 90*.
    With Slicer, you can bump down the speed doing a bridge while at the same time reducing the amount extruded. That makes the line being done pull tighter.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    With Slicer, you can bump down the speed doing a bridge while at the same time reducing the amount extruded. That makes the line being done pull tighter.
    I will have to locate that option, I have found that I cannot use slic3r outside of repg. When I do that and try to use the gcode that slic3r produced it does not work with my machine.

Is this the same for everyone? Also can you point me in a direction to find the bridge speed?

I will have to locate that option, I have found that I cannot use slic3r outside of repg. When I do that and try to use the gcode that slic3r produced it does not work with my machine.

Is this the same for everyone? Also can you point me in a direction to find the bridge speed?
    First, in the preferences, turn on Expert mode. File / Preferences / Expert_Mode

Then, in Print_Settings / Speed / Bridges set to 1/5 of your normal speed. And probably you want to set Bridge Acceleration (at the bottom of that same page) pretty low too.

Lastly, and most importantly, in Print_Settings / Advanced / Bridge_Flow_Rate down at 90% or maybe even less.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    First, in the preferences, turn on Expert mode. File / Preferences / Expert_Mode

Then, in Print_Settings / Speed / Bridges set to 1/5 of your normal speed. And probably you want to set Bridge Acceleration (at the bottom of that same page) pretty low too.

Lastly, and most importantly, in Print_Settings / Advanced / Bridge_Flow_Rate down at 90% or maybe even less.
    Well that may be an issue as I cannot use the Slic3r program independent of repg. I can only go into repg and edit the slicing profile for slic3r. I am at work currently and cannot provide more details, I will try to use slic3r tonight and import the gcode with repg and see if my printer will work. Last time I tried that the extruder would not move and sit in one spot trying to print.

Roxy, may I ask what version of slic3r you are using? I tried using the latest 1.1.6 with repg and it did not work. Maybe I should try a different version?
    Last edited by BLKKROW; 07-22-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Sorry for the double post.

After playing with Slic3r and Repg I found I can successfully use them together. The only issue is when I input the build dimensions of my printer 150mm X 145mm and set the center point at 75 X 72.5 two things happen:

When the extruders move to the front left to warm up it is hitting the side of machine creating a crunching noise. Then when it goes to print it prints off the build table on the back right side. So I then selected the center to be 0 X 0 and it then posts closer to the center but still makes the extruder hit the left side of the machine.

I will play with the dimensions more to see if I can get it to work better.

Also before it starts printing it releases a large amount of material and then begins to print the skirt. Anyway to modify the gcode with this?

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Also before it starts printing it releases a large amount of material and then begins to print the skirt. Anyway to modify the gcode with this?
    Someone will have to verify this and it's only meant to help the exploring, but I think if you issue a 'G92 E0' it will zero the extrusion length. You might be able to put this as one of the last lines in your 'Start G-code' in the Slic3r 'Printer Settings' and disable that "large amount of material" from being extruded.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast