Close

Thread: Paw print?

Paw print?

I have a paw-print impression from my daughter's recently passed cat that I'm trying to figure out how I might be able to print. Hoping to print a smaller sized version of what we have (hardened clay impression) to place inside a locket.

I am very much a newbie with an Ender 3.

Thanks for any ideas!

Staff Engineer
    Consider to seek a photogrammetry solution. It involves taking photographs of the item from a consistent distance, as many as possible in a 360° scan. There are free versions of photogrammetry programs which will probably have a limit to the number of photos accepted for conversion and paid programs without limitations.

Lockets are usually quite small and your printer will not print tiny objects that contain great detail. Resin printers are good for small objects with great detail, but that's not applicable to your post.

If you do not require 3D representation, but wish to have a faithful reproduction of the shape of the print, you could create an outline of the primary aspects of the paw print and extrude it to a suitable thickness. Your printer would print such an item.

Cat-Paw-Print.jpg
    This image above is representative of what could be extruded using many different 3D modeling programs. The claw portion of the paw may be too small to print to fit a locket and the individual pads would have to have a foundation layer holding it together.

If you have a photograph to post of the clay impression, that may be helpful.

Great ideas, thank you very much. A friend suggested possibly trying to do a lithophane print using a picture - not sure how well that would turn out but I will try all options and roll with what feels like the best representation for the gift I have in mind.I've attached a picture of the paw impression - any further wisdom is much appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    Consider to seek a photogrammetry solution. It involves taking photographs of the item from a consistent distance, as many as possible in a 360° scan. There are free versions of photogrammetry programs which will probably have a limit to the number of photos accepted for conversion and paid programs without limitations.Lockets are usually quite small and your printer will not print tiny objects that contain great detail. Resin printers are good for small objects with great detail, but that's not applicable to your post.If you do not require 3D representation, but wish to have a faithful reproduction of the shape of the print, you could create an outline of the primary aspects of the paw print and extrude it to a suitable thickness. Your printer would print such an item.Cat-Paw-Print.jpgThis image above is representative of what could be extruded using many different 3D modeling programs. The claw portion of the paw may be too small to print to fit a locket and the individual pads would have to have a foundation layer holding it together. If you have a photograph to post of the clay impression, that may be helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff Engineer
    The idea of a lithophane from the photograph is a sound one. It reduces a good number of uncertainties to nearly zero. Using a white or translucent filament and a high contrast photo will give you good results. Another aspect of a lithophane is the novelty of the invisible image appearing from the print. I suspect with the right lighting the lithophane might appear as the positive of the paw, rather than the depression of the cast.

The overall size is still a factor, although you may get sufficient detail from a lithophane if the settings are tight. In what dimensions are you working?

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    The idea of a lithophane from the photograph is a sound one. It reduces a good number of uncertainties to nearly zero. Using a white or translucent filament and a high contrast photo will give you good results. Another aspect of a lithophane is the novelty of the invisible image appearing from the print. I suspect with the right lighting the lithophane might appear as the positive of the paw, rather than the depression of the cast.

The overall size is still a factor, although you may get sufficient detail from a lithophane if the settings are tight. In what dimensions are you working?
    I have a couple ideas - one is to place a small print into a 30mm glass locket that allows for up to 4mm of material. Tight area to be sure - if that doesn't work out I can simply print out a circular disk of any reasonable size and include a small hole to place on a chain as one of a collection of charms.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas, I will start experimenting.

Use the clay as a mold for latex, plaster or whatever. Pour a few mm thicker for a base. The result would be much easier to scan.