Close

Figuring out how to actually use my Sapphire Plus 3d printer

I finally ended up getting the Sapphire Plus. A big shout out to Curious Aardvark who provided some incredibly useful information that got me started on this journey. Thanks so much!Putting it together has been, well, "interesting". :-)The assembly manual is a bit sketchy, but I've been able to figure most of it out by scouring Youtube and finding a couple of videos of the unit being assembled. It seems that depending on where you get it from, the components can be a little different, so that's making it more interesting. Right now, trying to figure out how to install the "Material detection kit". Not much of a kit, since it's just the one part, and the instructions don't mention how or where it goes. The folks at TwoTrees sent me a photo of where it goes between the spool and the BMG Extruder, but not exactly how it attaches, since there are no screws or brackets shown. As near as I can tell from their photo, they've got it attached with a zip tie. Had a similar challenge attaching the "3D sensor" to the extruder; it's not mentioned in the parts list or the instructions. Luckily I found a youtube video from 3D Gadgets Malaysia that has some good instructions. It seems that in their version of the printer, the Material Detection Kit comes with a bracket for attaching it to the frame. I'll have to fabricate something in my workshop, I guess. I was able to find some information about Corexy printers that will help with installing the timing belts. Does anyone have a Sapphire Plus, and if so, were you able to find some better instructions on assembling it?Anyway, I did have an actual question about using the printer.There isn't anything that came with the printer that describes how you actually use it. I understand it at a very high level, but for this particular printer, I'm hoping to find some additional information. Is there a corexy printer that everyone builds a version of, and I should look for instructions on running that printer? Do I need to find instructions on the firmware? I obviously have more homework to do here, but was hoping for some guidance on where to get started. Thanks and have a great day.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Hi,
    I am wondering the same. It seems this is a very tinker-heavy installation.
    Do you have it running yet and if so, how many hours have you put into tuning it so far?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I got the pro.
    The plus looks like a better engineered z axis.
    As far as the run-out sensor goes.

It's useful as a spare endstop - but that's it.

Never seen the point of a runout sensor that just registers whether filament is present or not.

Now a fancy electronic one that registers filament movement - might be worth using.

But as it stands - just don't bother fitting it.

As far as slicing goes - use prusaslicer.

The great thing about corexy is that the motherboard does all the comp[licated maths - you just tell the slicer the build volume size and pick a generic gcode printer using marlin. And that's it :-)

There is nothing specific to corexy to actually worry about.

I think on simplify3d I'm actually using the profile I set up for my cheapo I3 as the base.

be interesting to see how you get on with the plus.

I've documented my assembly process in my blog. https://blog.cyril.by/en/3d-printers/sapphireplus-assembling-tips

For the filament run-out detector, you'll need to print a piece in plastic that'll be mounted in one of the column so it's not hanging on the filament itself (which, as you've noticed, will likely cause issues when unwiding the filament). I had a lot of issues about this detector, mine wasn't wired correctly. Feel free to comment on my post, so I can include your experience on my page, it might help others. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by xryl View Post
    I've documented my assembly process in my blog. https://blog.cyril.by/en/3d-printers/sapphireplus-assembling-tips

For the filament run-out detector, you'll need to print a piece in plastic that'll be mounted in one of the column so it's not hanging on the filament itself (which, as you've noticed, will likely cause issues when unwiding the filament). I had a lot of issues about this detector, mine wasn't wired correctly. Feel free to comment on my post, so I can include your experience on my page, it might help others. Thanks!
    Hi and thanks for this information. I was delayed getting to it over the holidays, but getting back to it now.

Even tho I continue to get the Err2 (TwoTrees said that they're sending me a new extruder, but when that's going to show up I have no idea; trying to find their customer service email contact now), I have been able to get some motion from the motors, but it's kind of quirky right now. The X axis only moves about an inch and then just stops, similar with the Y axis. The Z axis tries to home, but ends up not stopping when the limit switch is triggered. It becomes very unhappy then. :-)

So, time to go back and recheck every wire, again. I've been through the menu options and looked at how everything is set, but the printer didn't come with any kind of operations guide, so I have no idea what these settings are supposed to be set at. Planning to take a look through the Robin_nano information to see what I can glean from that.

Between me and my voltmeter, we'll get it figured out, but it's a challenge without much in the way of standard documentation. It's become sort of a "turn over printer, check wiring configuration, turn printer right side up, plug in, try something, fail, turn printer over, repeat, repeat, repeat". On the other hand, by the time I get it all working, I may be the world's expert on getting a Sapphire Plus to work! :-)

Just an update to kind of document where I am. Had to take a break due to some "minor" surgery, but slowly getting back to things. TwoTrees eventually sent me a new thyristor, so I guess I'm supposed to do the "surgery" to get it into the extruder. Yeah, I can do this, but given that this is a brand new unit, you'd think that they'd have been a little more forthcoming. It took me 2 months of followup to get them to do something, and given what they finally did, I'm not impressed. Now, I will say that the actual tech support guys have been very helpful, even with having to work through the language barrier.

Right now, I can't do any heavy lifting, so it'll probably be another couple of weeks before I can start wrestling with the printer again, but that's where it is. Thing is, I still think that the overall build is good. It seems really sturdy and solid. But, very little in the way of assembly instructions, and nothing at all in the way of operating instructions, makes it something of a challenge.