Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newbie looking for first printer!?

Hi guys

I'm currently looking to purchase my 1st 3D printer.

My budget is around £600 (I don't mind paying a little more for the right printer) & would like something that makes good quality prints. The prints I will be making will be custom parts/pieces for my RC Model scale boat parts, nothing major as the parts will be mostly static/cosmetic pieces, but detail is a must! & my Mrs will also be using the printer to make cosplay pieces!

Any help much appreciated! like I say I'm after something that makes good quality prints, the ones that have cought my eye so far is the following:

Prusa i3 MK3S (comes in kit or prebuilt form) I don't mind the kit as I do a lot of model making etc (hence why I want a 3D printer!)

Creality CR 10 MAX 3D Printer (larger prints) but read mixed reviews on this?

I also want a printer that is pretty straight forward to use & doesn't require a degree in science to operate!!

Any info much appreciated!

Thanks

Staff Engineer
    If you've read mixed reviews on the Creality, you've probably found consistently good reviews for the Prusa i3 MK3s. Depending on how patient you are, there's hints of a Prusa Max printer, to compete with the larger models on the market, but likely with Prusa's reputation behind it. I've built a Prusa i3 MK2s and it was quite enjoyable. I understand from a fellow makerspace member that the MK3 is even easier to build. Prusa support is excellent too.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah the hardest part of building a prusa is actually getting the thing in the first place.
    prusa seem to be the only printer manufaxcturer who is always playing catchup.
    They always have more orders than stock.

It's not the largest build volume - but you'll be surprised just how much you can fit in.
    If you've got the money - get one.

It might also be worth olooking at the prusa mini - slightly smaller build volume, but almost half the price.
    I mean the mk3s is the better option, but the mini is also a good buy.

My opinion on how creality design machines are well known round here :-) Any company that deliberately designs sub-standard machines should be avoided, untill they stop doing so.

So - yep absolutely go prusa.

It's not just that they are great machines, but you get a proper manual - that is actually correct (very rare). Can't recall anyone complaning about their after sales service either.

Add 686 Shooter on Thingiverse
    Creality makes very capable printers contrary to what Aardvark says. There are literally tens of thousands of satisfied Creality owners world wide, over 60,000 on the Creality users Facebook page alone, and that doesn't include the tens of thousands that aren't members on the page. But that fact seems to be completely ignored here. But you'll read more about that shortly as I'm sure there will be a reply to this comment.

The advice given above regarding the Prusa is correct. They are one of the best out there, no doubt about it. If you have the money and the desire to get one I don't think you'll regret it.If you want a bigger build area or don't want to spend the money on a Prusa, Creality has some fine offerings. The CR10 family is a good start. I am currently running a CR10s Pro V2 and it has been running flawlessly since day one. You will get mixed reviews for all brands of printers. 3D printing is a finicky business and if someone screws something up, they blame the printer, not their lack of knowledge, screwed up building of the printer or their heavy handed handling of the printer.

I always recommend speaking with a reputable dealer that sells multiple brands of 3D printers over asking for recommendations on a forum. They can give you the good, the bad, and the ugly of different printers and brands and help you choose one that will suit your needs. A good retailer is also a great resource while you are learning as well.

Some folks on here are heavily biased against Creality and always talk about engineering and design, but as I mentioned above they completely ignore the fact that tens of thousands of satisfied users print great quality prints with these printers every day.
    Last edited by 686 Shooter; 11-16-2020 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    We are not the one ignoring the facts :-)

Haha, you are unbelievable Aardvark. I wish I had a knowledge as superior as yours that can negate what tens of thousands of people prove every day.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by 686 Shooter View Post
    Creality makes very capable printers contrary to what Aardvark says. There are literally tens of thousands of satisfied Creality owners world wide, over 60,000 on the Creality users Facebook page alone, and that doesn't include the tens of thousands that aren't members on the page. But that fact seems to be completely ignored here. But you'll read more about that shortly as I'm sure there will be a reply to this comment.
    Quick reality check. Facebook support groups are not places where people go to brag on how great their stuff is. Because if it was that great and they were having that good of a time with it then they should be spending time making things and not posting on social media, right? Rather it is where they all go to find help for the things they can not resolve on their own. I am a member of a handful of these groups just to help out and give back and maybe you should go back to your creality F.B. page and run a post/poll to see how many would actually buy that printer again. I do not own a Creality machine. They are problematic but not enough for my tastes. Just because there are that many machines made and sold does not begin to imply that there are anywhere near as many satisfied customers. But we all know today that you are happy with your Creality. 60k on a f.b. support group sounds scary. Because nobody buys a 3d printer to make posts on social media, right? Everybody buys a 3d printer to make stuff out of plastic. Which is way different than posting on social media. I think that is a whole lot of people trying to find specific help. What are your thoughts on this subject?
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 11-17-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Of course not everyone n there will be happy. So your logic on this is all the people people who discuss filaments, nozzles, slicers, show their latest prints or designs, or just want to discuss 3d printing in general are only part of this Facebook group because their printers are junk? And if you post a question or ask for assistance with a problem on Facebook it means your printer is junk?

I guess that loguc also says that the 38,000 members of the Original Josef Prusa i3/MK2/S/3/SL1 Owners group on Facebook all own garbage printers as well because otherwise they'd be printing and not posting on Facebook

I'm sorry but I fail to see your logic on the Facebook thing.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I'm just saying that claiming large numbers in a support group is not exactly the best way to show how successful something is. And I am sorry you do not get that logic. Claiming how many are sold or how vast the aftermarket parts support is or how many different flavors are available or even prices going up over time all are all great ways to demonstrate the success of a product. It is troubling that the first thing you can think of to show the greatness of Creality is the size of it's support groups. And I would like to postulate, if I may, that maybe your first thought on Creality being of a support group speaks volumes in and of itself, no?

Its a user group, not a support group. Its for people who use Creality printers to discuss and share all aspects of them. You seem to think it is only for problems and I don't see where you are getting this idea from.

Your bias and inability to understand how a user group works speaks volumes in and of itself, no?

Regardless, I will bow down to your and Aardvarks superior knowledge. All Creality printers are garbage and thier users are idiots for not realizing this. I will no longer defend Creality printers or the users of them on this forum.

Bash away gentlemen. You and your printers are truly superior do you deserve to do so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast