Close

Cant update Creator Pro Firmware to enable booster fan

I have an older Creator Pro (metal, not wood case). I have upgraded it with the side mounted booster fan, which plugs into the spare port on the motherboard. My Mount Bar did not have the two threaded holes at the end to take the fan, so I upgraded that as well.I have tested that the fan works (using separate 24v supply).In the flashpoint software I have told the fan to 'always on'.In the lcd screen I have scrolled down to turn the cooler fan on.No joy.I have the Sailfish v7.7 r01234I have tried to update the firmware with help directly from Flashforge - no joy. They can't tell me if the motherboard can take the later software or not. They said it might, but might permanently stop the motherboard working!:-)Seems crazy that my motherboard has the correct connections, but won't take the firmware? (I get a message saying 'something went wrong during sending software!')Any wizzes out their know a way round this?ThanksSteuart

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sounds like the fan wiring might need to be reversed.

quite often the voltage output on printer boards is the opposite way round to the wiring on the fans.

In fact I think all fans I've bought in the last few years, 12 and 24 volt, have been wired up opposite to that on the boards.

I just take the plugs out of the socket at the end of the fan wire and reverse them.

A set of these is useful to have in your workshop: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makerstack-...190527&sr=8-15

And NO you don't want to mess with the firmware on a mighty board.
    Sailfish is as good as it gets and way way better than any version of marlin I've yet tried.

But try the wire reversal first.

It works!!

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    sounds like the fan wiring might need to be reversed. .
    Hi Curious Aardvark - you are a star - it works! Thanks. (I must say I assumed the fan would simply go backwards if the wires were wrong).
    I was never going to change from Sailfish, merely to upgrade from 7.7 to 7.8 - but no need.

I hope it now improves the quality of my prints!!:-)

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol - thought that would be it :-)

Like i said, every damn fan I've bought in the last few years has been wired up opposite to the fan sockets on the printer boards :-)

And while they don't go backwards - like you'd imagine - they also don't overheat and melt - so be thankful for small mercies :-)