Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which control board?

Just picked up my Ender 5 Plus today from Micro Center. I also picked up a Micro Swiss direct drive extruder. They had a Meanwell PSU but it was only 350 watts. Im ordering the 500 tonight from Amazon. Which control board should I get? Mini E3 V2, SKR Pro/Turbo, Duet 2, or Archim 2? If there are others you recommend then please do. I think the Duet 2 WiFi is the one to go with by reading the specs. I def want silent drivers and a board that Merlin would work well on.

Thanks for the replies! I ordered the Duet 2 WiFi with 5" screen. Not the clone. Hopefully I can squeeze it into the stock screen location with some trimming of the hole for the screen. I was thinking about the Duet 3 but it seems like overkill. Even if its $50 more. I think the CPU runs at 800 MHZ and has 6 drivers. That board is meant for bigger machines. Probably fabrication machines. Also no WiFi. Ethernet only.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Marlin doesnt run on the duet boards. They run the reprap firmware. The duet 3 runs at 300mhz. Which is incredible for a 3d printer mainboard. The 2 does not. The SKR pro runs at 168mhz and that is about as good as you are gonna get for the marlin running boards. The SKR 1.3 and 1.4 run at 100mhz and the SKR 1.4 TURBO runs at 120mhz. Sorry I didn't see this until after your purchase. I would have recommended you chase a higher voltage over wattage power supply. These power supplies are not 80 plus and if you get a 500 watt power supply it will likely draw closer to that whenever it is on no matter the load. I just bought a MeanWell HRP-450-24 power supply for my TronXY. This power supply is a low profile power supply. Meant for server or rack mount. 1u height. And this bad boy is 88% efficient. And that matters for machines we leave on and let run for so many hours at a time. But the Meanwell SE-600-24 in my Tevo Black Widow is not 88 percent efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    Marlin doesnt run on the duet boards. They run the reprap firmware. The duet 3 runs at 300mhz. Which is incredible for a 3d printer mainboard. The 2 does not. The SKR pro runs at 168mhz and that is about as good as you are gonna get for the marlin running boards. The SKR 1.3 and 1.4 run at 100mhz and the SKR 1.4 TURBO runs at 120mhz. Sorry I didn't see this until after your purchase. I would have recommended you chase a higher voltage over wattage power supply. These power supplies are not 80 plus and if you get a 500 watt power supply it will likely draw closer to that whenever it is on no matter the load. I just bought a MeanWell HRP-450-24 power supply for my TronXY. This power supply is a low profile power supply. Meant for server or rack mount. 1u height. And this bad boy is 88% efficient. And that matters for machines we leave on and let run for so many hours at a time. But the Meanwell SE-600-24 in my Tevo Black Widow is not 88 percent efficient.
    I went with the 500-24 because that’s what they were selling on the net as an upgrade for the e5+. I thought it had to be 24v because the components are. I heard reprap is easier to setup. I thought Marlin could be run on all boards and is more widely used. My bad on that. I am becoming more knowledgeable each day with how these things operate. Installed my DIrect drive Swiss extruder today. PS coming Wednesday. Other small stuff coming thurs and Friday. Board should be here in a day or 2 with the display. I’m def gunna need help setting all this up lol. I’m in IT so I can handle the tech stuff. Most PS that are not 80 bronze or gold or whatever are only 70-75% efficient. So I would prob get closer to 400 on the 500.

The MW PS is still better than the crap stock one. I wanna get better stepper motors so I can take advantage of the 256 stepping on the board. Stepperonline good? I heard the better motors can really take advantage of the 256 stepping.

sorry for the late reply, I know you've already ordered, but my 2 cents is I liked the SKE Mini E3 1.2 on my old ender pro. I haven't tried the rest, but would have directed you towards either BTT product.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    wow that extruder is not cheap - but looks like a decent bit of kit. Did you get an actual microswiss or a clone ?

And the duet was definitely massive overkill.
    Again: original or clone ?

I am curious why you bought a cheap printer and then more than doubled the cost with add ons - rather than just buy a better printer that didn't need anything added to it ?

Lots of people do this - and I've never really understood why.

It's a bit like amateurs who overclock computer chips. They spend a couple hundred quid on a water cooling system and then over clock the processors - when the money they spent on the cooling could have been used to juist buy much faster kit that would make a faster system without any overclocking.

To me it makes very little sense.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatty View Post
    I went with the 500-24 because that’s what they were selling on the net as an upgrade for the e5+. I thought it had to be 24v because the components are. I heard reprap is easier to setup. I thought Marlin could be run on all boards and is more widely used. My bad on that. I am becoming more knowledgeable each day with how these things operate. Installed my DIrect drive Swiss extruder today. PS coming Wednesday. Other small stuff coming thurs and Friday. Board should be here in a day or 2 with the display. I’m def gunna need help setting all this up lol. I’m in IT so I can handle the tech stuff. Most PS that are not 80 bronze or gold or whatever are only 70-75% efficient. So I would prob get closer to 400 on the 500.
    Woa. My bad guy. I knew Meanwell made good power supplies but this conversation made me go and check and so far everything Meanwell I am looking at is 80 plus with the exception of a 5v power supply: https://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=469 . If yours is the RSP 500-24 then it is up to 90.5% efficient: https://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=467 . I hate being wrong and spreading bad info. Sorry dude. Also I thought your stuff was 12v. 24v is awesome and your PS is perfect by my standards.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 11-04-2020 at 10:55 PM.

No clones here. Only originals. Micro Swiss extruder and hot end was $100. Duet with screen was $260. Even with the upgrades u can’t find a printer with those specs and upgrades. How bout this.... I got the PS today. I open the bottom cover to install it and guess what I saw.... the same dam power supply already installed! Lol. I heard the early batches were installed with the Meanwell power supply. Bought it from Micro Center. I guess they had it in stock for a long time. I just saved $90 bucks lol.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    wow that extruder is not cheap - but looks like a decent bit of kit. Did you get an actual microswiss or a clone ?

And the duet was definitely massive overkill.
    Again: original or clone ?

I am curious why you bought a cheap printer and then more than doubled the cost with add ons - rather than just buy a better printer that didn't need anything added to it ?

Lots of people do this - and I've never really understood why.

It's a bit like amateurs who overclock computer chips. They spend a couple hundred quid on a water cooling system and then over clock the processors - when the money they spent on the cooling could have been used to juist buy much faster kit that would make a faster system without any overclocking.

To me it makes very little sense.
    Totally agree with you about the overclocking the CPU or overclocking their graphics card. I build about two computers a week for customers and gamers. And I tell them don’t even think about overclocking it. You can overclock it in 3 to 4 years when your parts are getting old and you need the extra speed and you don’t wanna upgrade. Also The printing size is massive on this printer. 350 x 350 x 400. You have to spend close to $1k to get larger than that. And upgrading is the fun part. I like tinkering with stuff. What motors do you recommend for this printer to take advantage of the 256 stepping? Which brand should I go with? Or should I bother replacing them? Would there be a difference with a more expensive motor compared to these? ARe the stock ones able to take advantage of the 256 stepping? The motors are cheap so I don’t mind. I looked on Amazon at stepper online motors. Even if I bought a more expensive one that has the same bed size or bigger, I would have definitely put some upgrades into that too. I didn’t spend that much on the upgrades. Just a couple hundred bucks. I also ordered the laser engraver for it. And also little parts like the nuts on the big screws that make the bed go up and down. Changed the tube to Capricorn even thou it’s direct drive, it still utilizes the tube to for from the DD assembly to the filament sensor. I will post pics probably on Saturday or Sunday when I’m done with all the upgrades. I’m definitely gonna need some help with setting up the firmware if anybody is up to helping me out on that and is knowledgeable in it. I wouldn’t have change the screen if the stock one was compatible with the duet. Since it’s not, I had to replace it unfortunately
    Last edited by Shatty; 11-05-2020 at 01:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast