Close

Student

X/Y wobbling/waves

Hello,

I've been printing for a while now and there is 1 problem I can't seem to figure out what is causing it, I'm guessing belt tension but I think my belts are at the right tension.

I have noticeable waves in the x and y direction. My printer is a K8200 from velleman (aka 3Drag). Table moves in X and Y direction, extruder moves in Z-direction.

Since I print in a color that is hard to photograph i'll post a photo of a picture I found on the internet that shows exactly the same behavior as my printer:

7172350812_5ebcfe8670_b.jpg

Anyone that had this problem too? And managed to fix it?

Banned
    When you do a bearing alignment have you looked to see if there is some play between the bushings and the rods? The first thing I would have guessed though is certainly belt tension like you said....

Engineer-in-Training
    Could be coming from several sources, but at the root it is from mechanical isolation or, possibly, from the slicing software. I've hear that Slic3r has some issues with this, I notice it on my prints but not as bad as what you show on the photos so let's see the mechanical part.

As Maggie said, check your printer to make sure is tight and smooth, check that your hotend is not wobbly, if you think it oscilates too easily you can try to brace it, specially if it has things attached to it like a fan and duct.
    The other thing you can try is changing the acceleration values in your firmware, by reducing the values you should get smoother ins and outs during changes of speed or going around sharp corners, that should reduce oscillations on your printer.

I just checked the website for your printer and I see now that it uses an X-Y table moved with belts, one thing you should check is if the belts vibrate when printing, you can either tighten them or add some type of idler to them.

Student
    I'll figure something out to make the belt tension adjustable and I'll start experimenting with that

Student
    I made some parts to adjust the belt tension on my printer, the effect seems to get less but it's still there. Maybe the only way is lowering the print speed..

Technologist
    These types waves can often be caused by vibration and play in your printer. Belts are just one source. Check all your screws and nuts to make sure they are tight. Make sure your bearings aren't flexing in their holders and try and see if you can see any flex in any of the smooth rods. The more stable the frame and linear motion parts are, the less you will see these waves.

Engineer
    on top of the mechanical items all these guys have mentioned, go into your firmware and lower the acceleration settings. this will reduce the quick changes in direction to lessen the waves you are seeing.

Hello.
    Have you fixed it?
    What is your acceleration and jerk parameters?

I had the same issue but only on curves/circles it was on my ramps 1.4 with unknown firmware.
    I've installed the Marlin firmware and it fixed this.
    I think there was some wrong acceleration/jerk.
    Now i use: XY jerk-20, XY acceleration 3000
    Curves are good now, but i have horizontal wobbling after each corner, ill try to take a picture tomorrow.

Engineer-in-Training
    Is this the same as ringing?