Close

Hybrid View

Top of print is usually messed up

Hi,
    I have a Sumpod Basic running Marlin firmware. I use Cura and Pronterface - Latest versions. Most prints come out like this:

http://kelgadgets.com/wp-content/upl...07/TopFail.png

Can someone here tell me how to fix this?

Thanks!

- a -

So I don't really know... But it looks like not enough material is being put down to make a solid surface. Have you calibrated you filament rate on the extruder?

Probably like Roxy said its your plastic output not being correct,

Probably your Z is to low wich makes your first layers correct, But once its at a higher height it still shows the error,
    Or you didnt measure your Plastic diameter, Wich you could simple increase instead of doing your E axis calibiration,
    or if you do have a precise measuring tool (Atleast a caliper of 0.1-0.05mm tolerance) you would be better of calibirating your E axis again.

When your pushing out more plastic you will probably see that your first layer doesnt look that nice anymore, so you will also have to get your Z endstop hit higher, But you adjust that when your printing and modify it then.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    After calibrating the extruder, I'd probably increase the amount of infill. Am I correct that the ring part is OK? Bridging gaps appears to be a problem, and increasing the infill will provide more support to help with it. What are the dimensions of the parts, and what material are you using? The parts aren't all that big, and PLA might require a print cooling fan to ensure the first solid top layer is ready to support the weight of the next one without sagging much. It could also be there are tweaks to be made to the nozzle temperature (try cooler?) and the print speed being applied to bridges. I see an attempt at two solid layers. After other problems are worked out, adding a third layer would likely help provide a flatter top layer.

DISCLAIMER: I'm fairly new at this myself, so factor that into the value of my input.
    Last edited by printbus; 07-20-2014 at 08:37 AM.

Student
    It looks like you are only printing a single full top layer. Try making it print two or three layers on top. That is, once the extruder is calibrated on e-steps, and you measure the filament like the folks here said.
    Last edited by PJMoore; 08-03-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJMoore View Post
    It looks like you are only printing a single full top layer. Try making it print two or three layers on top. That is, once the extruder is calibrated on e-steps, and you measure the filament like the folks here said.
    Looks like his using 2 at the moment,

But ye you could do more top layers to get it more even after a infill were done, But at the places that didnt have a hole, it still has some gaps wich still makes me think he should look at his filament esteps etc what i said before.

Engineer-in-Training
    Are those holes supposed to be covered, or open?

Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    Are those holes supposed to be covered, or open?
    I guess open due under 2 layers it doesnt have such strings, Only at the top it has em,

Its that or the retraction is the most horrible thing i have seen on a printer, The hotend should be realy over temp for something like that.