Close

Exclamation Large area of a model filling in when it is not supposed to

Hello folks,

I'm new here and am also new to 3D Printing, but not new to 3D modeling.

So I have recently obtained an entry level 3D printer, the XYZ da vinci jr. printer and I really like it. For the most part, I'm picking up on this new to me world pretty well and have already made some great prints with it, however I have run into a snag with a model I am working with.

So, the model is supposed to look like the first attached image. However, when loaded into a slicer program, in this case XYZprint, and when actually printed; it fills in the whole inner part of the model like shown in the second image, which does not make sense to me as that is not how the model is made and I have not had this issue with other models so far.

This is a fairly simply shaped model and I don't know what the issue is as the reverse side of the model prints perfectly fine.

I've made sure that this unwanted fill in is not being caused by the slicer program as all fill in settings are even turned off right now.

I'm guessing there must be something simple that I'm missing here causing this, but I just don't have enough experience with this yet.

Also, the model is an STL file and outputted by Blender if that helps.

Any directing help I could get here would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
    Gamester
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    grey picture on a grey background - is not very clear :-)

What did you model it in ?

And how thick were the 'walls' for the protuberances - at least i think they are protuberances. (grey on grey)

If those are shells with a hollow inside and not solid shapes, then the slicer either won't see them or the walls are too thin for it to slice.

I didn't model it; but after going over the model with a fine tooth comb; I found lots of small basic modeling issues that needed fixed.

So, after fixing the many holes and some broken vertices that were not easily visible; it resolved this issue.

Thanks for the response :-)

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    have ago with openscad - it would probably have been a lot quicker to just model that part from scratch, than buggering about fixing a duff model :-)