Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are Thermistors interchangeable?

I'm upgrading my old hotend to a Prometheus V2 but the new heat block doesn't provide a big enough hole for the original thermistor cartridge. If I were to order one that would fit the heat block, would my printer have any issues getting readings from the new thermistor?

Printer: CreatBot DX3

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Thermistor cartridge all have a specific table of resistance for a given temperature change.
    If you put a different thermistor cartridge in you will need to create data table for that specific thermistor or uses a compatible table.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    also they are all rated for different max running temps.
    How does a new hotend NOT come with a compatible thermistor ?

Surely a heat cartridge and thermistor are two things a hotend always comes with ?

Prometheus is currently out of thermistors. I had to order everything separately instead of a full hotend package. However, even if I had their thermistor, I don't know how to load a resistance table into the firmware like what Robers_Clif is suggesting.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    How much smaller is the Other heater Cartridge hole than the Original cartridge.
    If there is not much difference then make the hole large enough to fit the original cartridge.

Its only a millimeter smaller in diameter. However, the hole is right on the edge. I'm going to see about getting a new block machined.

most firmwares already have the various thermistor types included - you just have to tell it which one you have.
    Or at least all the firmware config files I've seen have this option.

Do you know if any of the common Firmwares would work for the CreatBot? Or does it have to be a specific one?

you tell it what the thermnistor is.

should be able to do it with the original firmware if you can update the configuration file.
    what firmware is it ?

It's just something I've noticed in scrolling through config files for various firmwares - thety all have a section to tell it ehat type of thermistor it is.
    Off the top of my head I can't recall the different types.

From looking around in forums it seems to be a modified version of Marlin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast