Close

Thread: layer height

Student

layer height

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on this problem:

I understand that NEMA17 motors can turn 1.9 degrees minimum (one step).
    The Lead Screw Rod has a certain angle of its screw.

From these two above, shouldn't the printer be able to use only certain predetermined layer heights?

How come you can choose any layer height you desire, if the machine has only got certain parameters?

Can someone make me understand this?

Thank you.
    Regards.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    There are many pitch lead screws, some travel 8 mm with 200 steps others only move 1mm with 200 step.
    If we did not have micro-steps.

My 3D Printer only has 16 micro-steps some have capabilities of 256, with mine this would be
    200 steps * 16 micro-steps = 1600 micro-steps or 0.000625mm per step.
    Using a 2mm pitch per 360 degree rotation lead screw.

Does this explain some of your question.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 10-13-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Student
    Thanks for replying Roberts_Clif

I suspected this.
    But how do I find out what are the capabilities of my machine, so I can determine what layer height steps are optimal for me?
    (without looking in the technical documents of the machine - which are non-existent; and without looking for the same online - which again are non-existent)

Thanks,
    Regards.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    As an example I have Sliced with Cura 3.6.0 Layer Height .32 with a .4mm nozzle PLA Printed at 202C on a 46C hotbed with print speed of 7.8^3mm per second.
    The print was done in under 4 hours if it had been printed with Cura 15.04.6 Layer Height .24 with a .4mm nozzle printed with the same same configuration, this print would have taken almost 8 hours to complete.

Resperator Mask 2.jpg

As I plan to celebrate Halloween needed a mask that could hold a PM2.5mm K95 Filter, which is under the Silver grill.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4242337

Now to answer your question.
    I have 3D Printed most layer heights between 0.06mm - 0.32mm for one project or another.
    Depending on your surface needs, time requirements ect... have never had a print fail under any specific layer height vs another...
    Have been 3D Printing over 3 years now using Cura 15.04.6 and only use newer versions of Cura for faster prints.
    As had never configured it to work properly though the more I use and reconfigure the newer versions the better they print.
    Just recently found the configuration that made Cura 3.6.0 and up make near perfect prints at the fastest speeds.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 10-14-2020 at 10:14 AM.