Close

DLP printing similar to photo-etching

Hello everyone, I'm going to buy a DLP printer to be able to print elements resembling photo-etched elements. Unfortunately, after watching this video-https://youtu.be/pbYAhjASGFYI began to doubt that it is possible at all without breaking down in the next layers. because a very small element must be printed horizontally. I noticed that the printers have a single layer thickness of 00.1mm to 0.30mm. My question is if I make the thickest single layer, will I be able to achieve it? It will not be a typical 3D object but a plate with an ornament, looking like this-https://imgur.com/a/E06VIt5 if it fails, it is possible to print directly on the plate where 3d printing begins, e.g. covered with some foil so that it can be easily removed?Thanks for every reply!
    Last edited by San; 10-15-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you might be better off with an fdm printer rather than resin.

A resin printer will almost certainly NOT print a layer as thick as 0.3mm
    It will happily print several layers at smaller layer heights.
    Why would it matter if it takes 10 layers or 1 ?

The question isn't very clear.

I'm sorry indeed, my question may have been incomprehensible. My point is that this object will have small ornaments, so it must all be printed flat without any supports. It is not about any photos, but photo-etching, which consists in etching metal elements for models. I was curious if it is possible to produce a similar board with such elements on a resin 3d printer, not made of metal but plastic. such elements are painted anyway. Therefore, the print must be without support structures because these elements would be damaged during their removal. This is what it looks like: <https://youtu.be/NntLi4KcLlI?t=713>. of course my obiect would be a bit thicker. photo-etching is very expensive, so I am looking for an alternative. Thanks for your time!

Engineer-in-Training
    Add jamcultur on Thingiverse
    The things in the video looked flat without overhangs. Any of them could be made by 3D printing with with either a resin printer or an FDM printer. To print large flat pieces on a resin printer, you will need to raise and tilt them, and add supports underneath to avoid suction problems. On an FDM printer, you can just print them flat on the print bed with no supports. Also, FDM printing is cheaper than resin printing.
    Last edited by jamcultur; 10-24-2020 at 11:56 AM.

fdm printing does not have the accuracy it needs, I can print directly on the platform so that later the print easily detaches? I heard that when the first layer is exposed for a shorter time, the printout will detach more easily.

Engineer-in-Training
    Small objects can be printed directly on the platform of a resin printer, big pieces cannot. If you expose the first layer for a shorter time, it can detach during printing and ruin the print. FDM printers have excellent XY resolution, better than many resin printers. Resin printers have better Z resolution, but if you are printing flat objects, why does Z resolution matter?

Quote Originally Posted by jamcultur View Post
    Small objects can be printed directly on the platform of a resin printer, big pieces cannot. If you expose the first layer for a shorter time, it can detach during printing and ruin the print. FDM printers have excellent XY resolution, better than many resin printers. Resin printers have better Z resolution, but if you are printing flat objects, why does Z resolution matter?
    Thank you for the information! my object will be 3.5 cm in diameter and 0.5 mm in thickness. I thought fdm printers would not print small details. If the DLP printer has an accuracy of 0.05mm, I do not know if such small elements are possible for FDM, such an ornament is not only straight lines. I will try to print to a DLP platform. when it comes to detaching from the platform i noticed that it takes a lot of force, won't it break?

Engineer-in-Training
    Yes, something that thin is likely to break when you detach it from the DLP platform.