Close

Older Creater Pro but wont feed in new filiment

OK I have a very clean older dual filament printer. When I bought it it had filament already fed into the extruder heads. I have been printing out of both heads just great. I now want to change the left extruder filament. I performed just as the menu tells me to but it will not feed the new filament through the extruder.

I feed in the new filament and the feeder grabs it and pulls it in, then it suddenly just stops pulling. I can feel the motor still driving. This is up to temperature (225C for ABS) but it just stops. going and the motor keeps going. I have re-cut the end several times ( I have tried angled and straight cuts) and continued pushing the material to the point it snapped in my hand. If I press the release lever I can pill it out and re-feed and it grabs and all then stops. I have tried twisting the new filament to no avail.

Any ideas as to what I should do?

Thank you.

IMG_8873.jpg

I have done more checking. I cannot even get the original red filament to feed. I did also check the filament size and they are both 1.70mm.

When I first attempted to feed in the new filament I did what I do with my other printers and cut the filament at the motor and then just follow it into the unit. I have never had this fail on me before. I then went through the procedure as outlined in the manual. I am still at nothing.

Attachment 15338 IMG_8976.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sounds like you need to do the ptfe tubing mod.
    just about the first thing I did with both my rep clones was to take the extruder apart and insert shoirt lengths of p[tfe tubing between the input ands gears and the output and the hot end feed.
    The filament is probebly just not lining up on the gear feed.

Aardvark,
    Again you come to my aid. Thank you. I will remove the fan and get into the feeder and look at that today. I will post photos and results as I go through this.

I other printers I have always been able to twist the filament and get them to feed in other printers but this one just, nothing. I was holing that there was an "Oh its just this" kind of thing.

At least now I have it in the correct forum title.

Well as soon as I took it apart is was clear. A small piece of filament had broken off and was stuck sideways blocking the entry hole in to the hot end. Damnit I should have just took it apart and looked. It is working great now. I cleaned it and the teeth on the drive gear and tested it to perfection. I am going to do a dual head print as a full test in a few minutes.

Thank you again Aardvark for your wisdom.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    experience rather than wisdom.
    And do the ptfe mod anyway. It's simple and effective - I'll look for pics - probably got some somewhere.
    that way when you come to flexible prints, you'll be ready :-)

dual printing with a rigid filament and a flexible filament is pretty cool :-)

My wooden creator lasted for about 5 years before I mothballed it - so seen most of the issues you get with them - few as it is.
    I think once i did the extruder, the only issues I ever had were down to bed adhesion and the printbite pretty much fixed that.
    They are just a great little work horse.
    Not fats, but great quality and a a good dual extrusion setup.

Oh yeah one thing that is an issue. The filament - particularlly on full spools - can come loose and wind it's way around the support tube at the back.
    making silament holderas that put the spools up above the printer is the best solution.
    I never got round to it and having to reach round behind the printer to check it hadn;t happened - was always a pain.

Unfortunately my current replicator clone (klic-n-print) is made of moulded steel and I have yet to work out adecent way to mount the easier to get at spool holders as i really don't want to drill holes in it.
    With the plywood frame - you can just screw bits on :-)