Close

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: My First CoreXY

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Ya I had so much fun building that. Anybody in their right mind would just not understand how much I bled out on that. I was inspired by a mainboard that had liquid cooling baked into the mainboard and it's BIOS. I can regulate the pump speed, fan speeds, and everything right from the UEFI BIOS and tune them with ramps that are temp vs. rpm. And so I spent over a grand just on the cooling system. The waterblock for the video card was over $200 and the matched rgb block for the 8700k cpu wasn't far behind it. But I got to bend up my own 16mm oversized PETG tubes. I got this kit that came with a silicone sleeve that i slid inside the tube then when I heated and bent it the silicone would hold the id similar to a mandrel bend. It runs a fully modded D5 pump that is capable of producing 3 bar. All of the fittings are RGB and there are so many wires. It was a fun project and the hardware specs are there. Intel i7-8700k, Nvidia 1080ti, 32gb ddr4 RGB ram, Asus ROG Maximus Hero X wifi mainboard, 1000watt PS, 2x samsung 960 PRO 1TB nvme ssd. 2x large radiators. And a bunch of 3d printed parts. I have a build thread for it right here: My New Machine | General Conversation (superchargerforums.com)
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 03-31-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    a 1080 ti ?
    And there's me thinking you'd - at the very least - be on a top end rtx and more likely one of the 30' series :-)

Although I have noticed that all the youtube video people all do their gaming on 4 or 8k screens.
    I honest;y don;t thin k we even have a 780p screen in the house, let alone 1080p and higher.

The tv is standard hd, the biggest monitor in my workshop is only a 21.5 cheapest I could find - not even sure if that actually 780p either.

I've been looking for a ryzen 5 3400g since november.
    What the hell has happened to the worlds supply of computer components ?
    Crap that would have been lucky to sell for £5 is now going for £100 - there are no mid to low end processors ANYWHERE, graphics cards are almost as bad.

It's not like supplies are low. There are no supplies. It's like everyone stopped making chips last april and nobody's bothered starting up again.

I'm literally - down to three old mini itx setups and an old am3 board - I can't build any new computers for clients for sensible money.
    And 95% of my builds are for normal everyday office systems.

The last system I built before christmas, I had to use a used chip and board - and things have gone steadily downhill since then.
    I lost track oif how often I stripped my own system for bits before christmas.

Anyway enough of my wingeing :-)

Show us some pics of ithe cubs all lit up !
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-01-2021 at 09:14 AM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Well to be fair to me the build thread is dated back in 2018 and then the 1080ti was top dog. And they were also hard to come by in those days because it was at the peak of the crypto mining and for that reference Nvidia car I paid $1200. It held up the build And I got that one for cheap in that day. Here is the cube with all the covers on..

The RGB lights are just set to cycle and so it looks like a carnival in my pc, lol..

very cool :-)

So you pulled the trigger on the loopy steppers yet ?

Shame they wouldn't help with the big i3.
    That wobble at height was amazing !

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Oh wow CA have you seen the Bondtech LGX? Large Gear eXtruder. It is nice. I was watching this video from Teaching Tech on it: Bondtech LGX extruder guide & test for Prusa MK3 and Artillery3D X1 - YouTube

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So I am gonna get that LGX extruder along with a mosquito magnum and 0.8mm vanadium nozzle. But also I have been thinking about this frame and while the shape of a cube is cool I just dont like the bar across the top in front. I think if this were removed then access to the print surface would become a lot easier. This idea will require some changes be made first. Currently the belts run across the front of the frame just above the bar I seek to remove. And the motors are in the back. I plan to first unbolt the top square from the cube and turn it 180 degrees and bolt it back down. This will put the steppers for X and Y up front and the belts will cross over in the rear. Here is the current configuration still very close to the factory way..

After that is done I will still need to brace the vertical beams in a manner that keeps them positively located in their correct positions. Then the cross beam can come off. And I will have to make a new tft70 mount.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Good question. To be honest I want to print parts that can live under the hood of car and so for that effort I needed to be able to print in the higher temps. And so I started to build for that. CA pointed out to me the cost of the high temp filaments. And took all the wind right out of my sails. I love 3d printers for their main intended purpose. Rapid Prototyping. And I rework 3d printers to hone this ability and skill. And to get to a good perfect part for a 3d printer or anything I do I might print that part 5, 10, or more times getting the part perfect. To enable this I run open source and the cheapest filaments I can find that I can tune my rigs to print decent. I typically spend ~$20 for a 1kg spool. For the PEEK I will pay $300 or more. This will greatly limit my capacity in how I use 3d printers. And so I am sticking with the PETG for now.

But who knows what tomorrow will bring. And so I have a cube printer that can be walled off easily. I have the 400c bed. I am about to receive the 400c+ hotend (mosquito Magnum), If I choose to go down that road the door will always be open for it. But for now I'm gonna play where it is affordable to do so.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook

Technologist
    I recently found material that claims to withstand high temperatures, up to 160C. It's called Greentec Pro: https://www.extrudr.com/en/products/.../?material=134. Biodegradable, easy to print. I have couple of rolls and it truly easy to print, kinda like printing PLA. Also I tested a part in oven at 120C and although it did get bit softer, it didn't malform like PETG, ABS and PLA did.It's bit more expensive than PLA, but not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    Oh wow CA have you seen the Bondtech LGX? Large Gear eXtruder. It is nice. I was watching this video from Teaching Tech on it: Bondtech LGX extruder guide & test for Prusa MK3 and Artillery3D X1 - YouTube
    lmao - you're like a kid in a toy shop :-)
    That does look pretty good.

I'd like to see one pushing flexible filament at speed. That's pretty much the only flaw the sapphire's bondtech has.

It's snowing - in england in april ! You don't see that everyday :-)
    lol

Anyway. My current favourite is the bigtreetech all in one lightweight job.
    It'll run easily at 150mm/s with pla - which is the sapphire's normal speed.
    But it's also lightweight enough to go on a large delta.
    And I think it said 300c - which is all I really need for polycarbonate.
    At the moment PET is working well for me as tougher then pla and still stiff filament.
    They had a half price sale on amazon.
    £11.80 for 750gm - so I'[ve now got enough to last a year or two - probably lol

I do have commercial product I'm making with it. weighs around 3 grams. So I've got enough for over a thousand.
    And frankly if we sell that many, I'll probably upgrade the printer anyway :-)

polycarbonate - fairly cheap and stronger and pretty decent heat deflection.
    Needs around 260-280 to print well.
    I did manage to print a few small items at 260 on the sapphire. But she really wasn't happy.
    also PET - almost as hard as pla and way tougher. Heat deflection not that great - but it's great stuff.

@spegilius.
    had a look at that site. They really don't want to say what it's made of do they :-) None of the data sheets mention it.
    My guess is that it's a type of hi-temp pla that doesn't need sintering to get the hi-temp resistance.
    There are others around and at roughly the same price.

@autowiz - removing the front bracing of the cube doesn't sound like agood idea.
    The thing is almost big enough to climb into - how are youi not goign to have easy acess for removing models ?

Surely that's what the kids are for - use them while they're still small enough to get in there :-)

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast