Close

Hybrid View

New 3d Printer Guy! Ender5 can't load filament! Sadfase!

Howdy ya'll, I just got my new Ender 5 Plus all set up and I have yet to be able to print my first model because I just cannot for the life of me get the filament past the little loader clip. The part with the spring. I can get the filament through the first two holes, but to get it into the long tube that leads to the extruder nozzle has proven impossible.

I've cut the filament to a point, straightened it out, tried to prod at it with a pair of tweesers, I cannot see how else to get it in there. Please help!

Thanks so much,

Patrick

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Hey buddy. What you need to fix this problem so it will never be a problem again is just get this: https://www.bondtech.se/en/product/bmg-extruder/ . It should be a direct bolt on fit. Allowing you to use the motor you already have. Then for the inlet you will get one of these to install on the bottom of the extruder: https://www.bondtech.se/en/product/f...ment-size=1-75 . Get the name brand stuff install it in the place of your extruder. Use the same motor. And make loading filament into your machine enjoyable. Using a printer shouldn't be a struggle. And with a bowden setup you would benefit from the dual drive anyways. But it's gotta be BondTech.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 09-27-2020 at 10:57 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sounds like the tube needs to be pushed into the holder on the extruder a bit more.
    Some of these extruders do take a fair bit of pushing to get the tubp flush with the feed hole.

I also find that flarig the end of the tube out slightly before insertion also helps.
    I usual;u usea small knife, stick the point in the end of the tube and twizzle it round slightly, so the end looks more like a trumpet than a pipe. If you flare it too much it won;t fir on the holder.
    But it doe make things alittle easier.

Though it sounds like you just haven't pushed it in far enough.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Well I mean there is this for cheap that just adds dual drive to the direct drive mk8 setup you already have. The price is right on it for sure: https://www.biqu.equipment/collectio...r-3pro-ender-5 . But the problem with it and I think what you have also is the fittings with the tiny threaded part that only allows the filament to pass through it. These create places for filament to jam or get stuck. It is usually nice to see the fittings that let the ptfe tube pass right through them because you can run that one tube all the way up to the extruder gear and not have multiple breaks in the tube.

Hey thank you for the replies. I will try to get in there with an exacto and "trumpet" the base of the tube, that makes sense. I've been under the extruder with a flash light and basically lockpicking tools trying to guide the filament through the two gears to get into the tube. I think I've sheared off half of this PLA tubing the printer came with at this point.

I'm a pretty simple fellow, so replacing all these parts seems daunting, but from all yalls information I think I've been able to find a few youtube videos on how to take this extruder apart / replace it.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    extruders are basically fairly simple devices.
    A pushing gear and an inlet ad an outlet.

The key to a good extruder setup is to reduce the gaps between the inlet and the gears and the outlet and the gears.

Sometimes that might involve using a diffrent case for the gears, often it just involves a short piece of ptfe tuning that bridges the gaps.

Once you see how the filament threads through the gears, you can usually see how to fix the problems :-)