Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nozzle constantly clogs,can't seem to find a solution

Good evening,
    For almost 3 years I have a stock Tevo Tarantula,except for some minor improvements.

Some months ago while printing a 4 hour PETG print my nozzle clogged for the first time ever.
    I unclogged it and from that moment till now the nozzle cloggs and I can't get a print finished.
    Sometimes it happens at the start,sometimes after 1 hour.
    It doesn't always totally clog, but when it does you can hear the extruder clicking and underextrument will appear or it wont print at all.
    So what I did:
    -Tried another extruder (I have a Titan extruder,tried the stock one)
    -Changed nozzles
    -Changed PTFE tube
    -Changed throat,even got an all metal one
    -Changed the fan with a bigger 40mm one,in order to have more airfow
    -Updated the firmware,from Marlin 1.1 to 2.0.
    -Tried other filaments.Neither PETG,nor PLA can print.
    -Even applied thermal paste to the throat and insulated the hotend
    -Replaced the hotend block
    -Replaced the thermistor and the heating element

I can't find the cause of the clogs and I've replaced everything that the filament goes through.It just doesn't make sense.
    I am using Simplify3D and even when just asking the printer to extrude ,the extruder will start clicking.

So any idea what else I can check on,before I get a new one and just throw this one out of the windows?
    Thanks.

Its a longshot but have you tried another slicer? Like downloading cura and use a profile from a website thats already setup for your model and do a print just to see if a setting somewhere in simplify might be causing it? It sounds like you have tried everything possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dant3 View Post
    Good evening,
    For almost 3 years I have a stock Tevo Tarantula,except for some minor improvements.

Some months ago while printing a 4 hour PETG print my nozzle clogged for the first time ever.
    I unclogged it and from that moment till now the nozzle cloggs and I can't get a print finished.
    Sometimes it happens at the start,sometimes after 1 hour.
    It doesn't always totally clog, but when it does you can hear the extruder clicking and underextrument will appear or it wont print at all.
    So what I did:
    -Tried another extruder (I have a Titan extruder,tried the stock one)
    -Changed nozzles
    -Changed PTFE tube
    -Changed throat,even got an all metal one
    -Changed the fan with a bigger 40mm one,in order to have more airfow
    -Updated the firmware,from Marlin 1.1 to 2.0.
    -Tried other filaments.Neither PETG,nor PLA can print.
    -Even applied thermal paste to the throat and insulated the hotend
    -Replaced the hotend block
    -Replaced the thermistor and the heating element

I can't find the cause of the clogs and I've replaced everything that the filament goes through.It just doesn't make sense.
    I am using Simplify3D and even when just asking the printer to extrude ,the extruder will start clicking.

So any idea what else I can check on,before I get a new one and just throw this one out of the windows?
    Thanks.

Hello,
    I too have the same problem on a prusa clone with PETG.
    making me crazy.
    I didn't undergo all the tests @dant3 did but I did changed the entire extruder assembly and got few good prints with specific profile I made. since then I changed that profile and I'm back at the beginning.

I'm using prusa slicer if that helps.

If anyone has any suggestions,
    thanks in advance,
    Sagi.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesban View Post
    Its a longshot but have you tried another slicer? Like downloading cura and use a profile from a website thats already setup for your model and do a print just to see if a setting somewhere in simplify might be causing it? It sounds like you have tried everything possible.
    Tried another Slicer,same happens.
    I m gonna go ahead and dismantle the whole printer,at least the electronics to make a visual inspection.
    Next I m gonna replace the motherboard.
    If these dont work,I m gonna sell it and get an Ender 3 V2.

@dant3, looks like my problem was with the feedrates and speed, at least I don't get anymore skips, yesterday when I tried to print I got a clog but I'm not sure why, maybe temprature or something else but the motor didn't skip. you should look into that if you haven't already. hope that will help you.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    could be the stepper motor driver chip.
    Stepper motors are virtually indestructible, but the chips are a regular consumer item :-)

Certainly doesn't sound like any of the things you've actually changed, as the only other obvious culprit would have been the ptfe liner.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    It could also be Stepper drivers V-Ref is too high causing the drivers to over heat, this intern allows the extruder to misstep and ultimately clog.

My 3D Printers have a factory V-Ref of 0.800 volts this caused me many headaches until I finally reduced V-Ref to 0.695 volts.
    Added heat-sinks to Driver chips a cooling fan to ensure the controller and all components operated in a recommended temperature range.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    could be the stepper motor driver chip.
    Stepper motors are virtually indestructible, but the chips are a regular consumer item :-)

Certainly doesn't sound like any of the things you've actually changed, as the only other obvious culprit would have been the ptfe liner.
    I guess I have to replace the motherboard if the motor driver chip has gone bad?I have a soldering iron if it is replaceable and I can replace it.
    The PTFE liner has been replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    It could also be Stepper drivers V-Ref is too high causing the drivers to over heat, this intern allows the extruder to misstep and ultimately clog.

My 3D Printers have a factory V-Ref of 0.800 volts this caused me many headaches until I finally reduced V-Ref to 0.695 volts.
    Added heat-sinks to Driver chips a cooling fan to ensure the controller and all components operated in a recommended temperature range.
    I have adjusted the stepper volts ,after the problem appeared too.Actually it was a bit lower than it had to be.
    I have added heatsinks to the chokes and some chips,since I first bought the printer.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it depends on the board. The good boards have removeable and replaceble chips in sockets. That just push in and pry out.
    The cheap and nasty(not really fair, some very good boards have built in drivers.) ones tend to have the chips soldered to the board. And given how cheap boards are - you might as well replace with a board with sockets.

The beauty of a socket based board is that you can just switch chips round to see if one's bad. :-)

Well mine definetely has no sockets.
    The motherboard is a MKS 1.4
    Well I think I can try to connect the extruder to the E1 plug.
    It supports dual extrusion so I guess it should be able to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast