Close

Issues with printing small lettering (Prusa i3 Mk3s)

Howdy,I am new to 3d printing and I cannot wait to explore it further. I am using the above printer using all standard components (0.4mm nozzle). I have been printing a few bits and bobs which has lettering on them but cannot seem to get an up to standard finish. I am using PrusaSlicer as the software. Even in the slicer, there is gaps in the letter where I expect there to be infil but there isn't. I have tried playing with infil, detect thin wall, etc. The letters are about 1x1cm so not exactly tiny. I have tried varying layer heights also. Have a look below. Any settings for printing lettering to get a crisp finish? Would a smaller nozzle help?

Last edited by ats101; 09-25-2020 at 07:40 AM. Reason: change text around

Yup, that is 3D printing.. One issue that can caused gaps is the size of the item (letter width) compared to the extrusion width (width of plastic thread). Also, remember what is happening here, melted plastic is being pushed out a tiny hole under pressure while the hole is flying around at a high rate of speed with no way to actually stop the flow other than to pull the filament back a short distance. The flow does not stop instantly and when pushed forward to go again is not instant either. What you have there looks very good to me!

that looks pretty good to me, but if it is a concern, the next version of Prusaslicer will have ironing. If you can't wait for the next version, try Superslicer as it already has ironing.

I also think it looks good, but you could try increase size of the text, change font to something without thin features. Less times-new-roman-y more e.x. demonized: https://www.dafont.com/demonized.font

If you cannot change the model smaller sized nozzle would have done better job (Prusa have profiles for 0.25mm nozzle: https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/i3-acces...diameter-025mm ) much more of the details would be visible. It is especially worthwhile if text is something that you often print.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you can try more top layers.

Or you can try solid printing - ie: no infill pattern just solid plastic.

Fonts do matter, some that look really good on paper can have really thin sections that the slicers just don't seem able to handle that well.
    10mm square is a pretty large letter - so thin sections should not be a major issue.

But anytime you have gaps in your top layers like that - then more top layers and denser infill is usually the answer.

Keep meaning to look at the latest prusa slicer.

How To Start A Dropshipping Business.

Step 1: Find a niche.

Picking a niche you fully understand will give you some additional advantages over your competitors. Without any knowledge about the niche you choose, you won’t have the ability to pick up on anything fishy about the quality of the products, the process, the pricing, or anything related.The niche you select needs to be laser-focused and something you are genuinely interested in. A product range that isn’t focused will be difficult to market. If you aren’t passionate about the niche you select, you will be more apt to become discouraged, because it takes a lot of work to successfully scale a drop shipping business.