Close

Engineer-in-Training
    Add jamcultur on Thingiverse

Huge multi-color CoreXY printer

A 1800mm x 2500mm x 1500mm CoreXY printer is under development by grad students in Germany. It uses pellets rather than filament, and can print multiple colors. They have some videos of the construction on YouTube, but their test prints are on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hugefancy/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Student
    anyone can tell me the price of coreXY Printer, I have to buy it. thanks

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    about $300

From the pictures instagram let me see before it wanted me to sign my life away - it looks like a clay extruder. Which makes alot more sense for the size.

you got a link for the youtube video ?
    Can't find it.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add jamcultur on Thingiverse
    It extrudes plastic using big nozzles (8mm - 20mm) which makes the prints look a little like clay prints made with big nozzles. The YouTube videos were made while the printer was under construction.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg9...bnxLaLXc8oqW0A

There are some videos of the printer in action on their Instagram. It's pretty impressive. It sounds like a jet engine. They did their first prints about 6 weeks ago. I imagine it will take a while to get something this new and big dialed in. They are already able to print huge things, and can blend or change colors during a print. It will be interesting to see what they do with it. I hope that they don't mind I copied a few pics from their Instagram. (Free publicity for their research project )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jamcultur; 09-21-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by sabakewal View Post
    anyone can tell me the price of coreXY Printer, I have to buy it. thanks

Ebay has a large corexy 500x500x600 for under a grand. I might jump on that myself: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tronxy-X5SA...Cclp%3A2334524
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 09-21-2020 at 10:45 PM.

one of our members has the tronxy x5sa - one of his boards has just burnt out - so maybe wait till he hears back from tronxy :-)

Also looking at that link - don't look like proper linear rails.

A smaller but probably better made beast is the two trees sapphire plus.
    Essentially the upgraded version of what I have.

I like the fact that my rails are bolted to a 6mm sheet of solid aluminium/ Not only does that make the frame really stable , but keeps the rails totally flat too.

And as you always say: 'the most important part is the frame - everything else is tacked on to it'
    Or something like that :-)

back to the really big beast - that is a lot of plastic. The cooling is going to be the most critical part.
    Probably why it sounds like a jet engine :-)
    You'd need some kind of ducted turbo fan to cool that mass of molten plastic fast enough to maintain it's shape.

It sure as hell isn't going to be printing an iris box anytime soon lol
    It'd be big enough to use as an igloo !

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I wanna see an iris box printed with a 8mm nozzle. Still trying to wrap my mind around a 20mm hole for a nozzle. I have been hesitant to make the jump from 0.4 to 0.6, lol.

lol yeah, that's not that far off the aperture the concrete printing machines use.

Shame no new videos on their youtube page.
    I'd like to see what they are using for print area cooling.

Speaking of nozzle sizes - try a 0.5.
    I've yet to find any detailed stuff I can't print with mine. and it speeds prints up by 20% as well as letting you use 0.4mm layer heights.