Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation HELP creating geometric shape for 3D printer

Hello,

I am creating centerpieces and these plaster of paris shapes are a pain to recreate. I have access to a 3D printer but am having difficulty creating this fairly simple geometric shape on my own. The top ans base are 3x3 square shaped, and it is about 6 inches tall, and the widest point in the middle is about 4 inches.

I was hoping someone could e-mail me the STL file for this shape. Dimensions don't need to be exact, I am just looking for this general shape. Any assistance would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,

pic 2.jpgpic 1.jpg

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    is that two pyramids - base to base, attached to another base to base pyramid ?

basically two of these, stuck together along one of the faces ?

Also dimensions are determined by the slicer before you print. You can make them anything you like :-)
    Size of a model like this within a cad program is largely irrelevant.

More pictures wouild be useful - not entirely sure of the shape.
    Is this close ?

Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-10-2020 at 11:21 AM.

Thank you for your reply. This looks close! However the base in your rendering is a triangle and mine is a square at the base and at the top. Here is another image that may make it a bit easier to decipher.
    pic 3.jpg

Also if you could limit the same thread to just one part of the forum that would be good :-)

lol - geometry was never my strong suite.

so you've got a square base with 8 triangles vertically mirrored to another 8 triangles and a square top ?

Ah - do you perchance know the actual angles of those triangles ?
    That would probably help.

Actually what I need is the width of the base of the trinagles and the height of the triangle from the centre line to the apex.
    That'll give me a proportionally corrext sized triangle. Which I can then rotate and tilt to make the actual shape.
    In theory anyway :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-10-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Yup! I believe that would be the perfect way to describe this shape! :-D

I don’t know the actual degree of those angles but I can try to figure that out.

So the base is a 3” x 3” square, and it is 6” tall. So I think all those angles should be an even 60 degrees?

Staff Engineer
    Wow, of all the images to have to view in 2D, those to photos are tough ones. I'm not surprised that Curious Aardvark is using OpenSCAD to generate it. It's by far the easiest method to create such geometry. If you get lucky, he'll give you the source and you can adjust parameters to your heart's content.

i actuallty just want the size of the triangle - in millimetres if possible.
    they look taller than they are wide - although on balance it actually doesn't make any difference.

If you get lucky, he'll give you the source and you can adjust parameters to your heart's content.
    'give' - hmm, 'sell' - more likely :-)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast