Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BLTouch driving me mad please help

I purchased the BLtouch sensor, SKR mini e3 v1.2 and the TFT35 v3 touch display. I have everything installed. I have printed successfully on it, but I leveled it by hand the first print. I have probed the board and stores it. I set the z off set. When I print though it does not use the bltouch. I was unable to compile the firmware because I keep getting errors in vs code about squiggles and include errors so I gave up and used precompiled firmware.

I do not have the zstop plugged in and plugged the bltouch into the zstop as recommended. Can anyone please help me get this to work? What the hell am I missing.

I am not sure what information anyone will need to help me just let me know and I will pull it. God I hope someone knows wtf is up with this.

Hi,You have to put the Gcode "G29" in the start section of your slicer. I use Cura and this is what is in my Start G-code section:

M117 Heating Bed.
    M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; Set Heat Bed temperature
    M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; Wait for Heat Bed temperature
    M117 Pre-heat extruder to 160.
    M104 S160; start warming extruder to 160
    G28 ; Home all axis.
    M117 Auto bed-leveling.
    G29 ; Auto bed-level (BL-Touch)
    G1 X0 ; Move to side of bed.
    G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
    M117 Heat extruder up to full temp.
    M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; Set Extruder temperature
    M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; Wait for Extruder temperature
    G1 Z1.0 F3000 ; move z up little to prevent scratching of surface
    G1 X0.1 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; move to start-line position
    M117 Purge the extruder.
    G1 X0.3 Y200.0 Z0.3 F1500.0 E15 ; draw 1st line
    G1 X0.6 Y200.0 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; move to side a little
    G1 X0.6 Y20 Z0.3 F1500.0 E30 ; draw 2nd line
    G92 E0 ; reset extruderG1 Z1.0 F3000 ; move z up little to prevent scratching of surface
    M117 Printing model.Hope this helps you.
    Cheers,Andy

PS the M117 code just sends a message to the LCD screen.
    Last edited by AndyB; 09-09-2020 at 03:11 PM. Reason: additional info

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Wow now that start up G-Code was quite a feat.

My G-Code looks like this
    Code:
    ;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g
    ;Filament cost: {filament_cost}
    ;M190 S{print_bed_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own bed temperature line
    ;M109 S{print_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own temperature line
    G21        ;metric values
    G90        ;absolute positioning
    M82        ;set extruder to absolute mode
    ;M106 S127 ;set Fan half speed
    M107       ;start with the fan off
    G28 X0 Y0  ;move X/Y to min endstops
    G28 Z0     ;move Z to min endstops
    G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm
    ;Put printing message on LCD screen
    M117 My Print...
    G28 X0 Y0
    G1 E4.0 ;prime extruder
    G92 E0 ;reset extruder length
    M420 S1   ; Bed Leveling On
    M220 S32.000000
    ;M420 V1   ; Print the leveling grid
    The following line takes care of restoring bed leveling data. " M420 - Bed Leveling State "

This now is not necessary in newer version of firmware as this line takes care of it. " #define RESTORE_LEVELING_AFTER_G28 "

I figured that out and it’s in there now. It probes the plate but still the first layer is crap. I’m watching and the left side of the board as it’s printing is still a hair lower then the right. So if the right layer is perfect the left side is squished super thin. This is driving me bonkers

I have never completely relied on the automatic bed leveling.

I home my 3D Printer,
    Then using using the LCD drop the Z-Axis to 0.2mm. (the thickness of a piece of paper.
    Disable the stepper motors using LCD.
    Manually move the nozzle to all four corners and adjust the bed leveling be able to slide the paper under the nozzle.
    This mean my bed is level, and If it is not.
    This only means that I also Have to adjust my Dual Z-Stepper motors to level before Bed leveling.

Now that this is complete I can use the Auto Bed Leveling and be pretty sure that i can print a complete Bed test Print model.
    Over the years learned to do a complete alignment of all axis plus align dual stepper motor axis - in under a few minutes.

Angry

While I sympathise with your predicament I am going through the same pain. I had a perfect functioning Ender 3 and was talked into a BL Touch. It's been back to the store twice and they can't get it working unless it's a small test cube. I've messed with it to the point where I can get it to print as long as I use a raft.I'm so annoyed. It's ruined my experience with the printer.I still have to regularly manually level the bed so what's the point of the BL Touch at all????And even with that the edges of the raft curl up on the right had side of the print even using glue.

Quote Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
    While I sympathize with your predicament I am going through the same pain. I had a perfect functioning Ender 3 and was talked into a BL Touch. It's been back to the store twice and they can't get it working unless it's a small test cube. I've messed with it to the point where I can get it to print as long as I use a raft.I'm so annoyed. It's ruined my experience with the printer.I still have to regularly manually level the bed so what's the point of the BL Touch at all???? And even with that the edges of the raft curl up on the right had side of the print even using glue.
    I hope that the BL touch sensor is truly not the problem as I just purchased one for my MPCYC.
    This was one of the few ways I could level the bed platform with the many different materials
    that was planning to Router / Carve / Engrave or Laser cut / engrave.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    I hope that the BL touch sensor is truly not the problem as I just purchased one for my MPCYC.
    This was one of the few ways I could level the bed platform with the many different materials
    that was planning to Router / Carve / Engrave or Laser cut / engrave.
    Uh oh. I hope you don't have the same problem. For me the only thing I changed was the bl touch so its definitely the source of my issues.

How do i attach a picture on here?

So I found there is a setting that is missing from my firmware. There should be a prepare menu item and it probes the board, but instead of just touching the build plate and moving it stays at that point until you dial in the distance from the nozzle to the bed at that point. Unfortunately I cannot get VS code to work properly so I cannot change the firmware to show this menu option. I cannot find the video I saw it on. I found it while researching what the z fade was. I thought it might have something to do with something.

Also if someone can explain Z fade I would appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast