Close

BMW's 3D Printed Concept Car

Although it may not be able to be produced until 2040, BMW has teamed with Swedish designer Erik Melldahl to create a 3D printable concept vehicle made just for the Serengeti. The body of the vehicle would be 3D printed and infused with mycelium, a type of mushroom. It would be light weight and strong, while the remainder of the vehicle would have all sorts of environmentally friendly mechanisms. More details on this concept vehicle can be found here: http://3dprint.com/9174/bmw-3d-printed-vehicle

Is this something you think will be possible in 10 years? 20 years? 30 Years? Below is an image of the concept vehicle.

Engineer-in-Training
    It would seem to be user-unfriendly, how do you get in? Ten pictures and nothing shows how one would get in, unless you're supposed to crawl over the rear seat, which I would hope not.

Through the back and climb over the seats?

Staff Engineer
    It looks like the entire side panel forward of the seam on the rear third of it either slides forward or swings upward pivoting around the front wheel support.

That said, the biggest problem with this is a complete lack of safety cage structure inside. Might make for an okay dune buggy (which I think is their intent) but it would never get cleared for highway use.

EDIT: Nevermind, the side panels are mesh fabric that unzips along that seam. The doors open forward like a regular car, with the side 'mirror' being the only rigid part mounted to the door frame. And it looks like this is being marketed to Africa exclusively... So getting cleared by any kind of safety regulations for highway use was never a concern.
    Last edited by Feign; 07-17-2014 at 10:44 AM.

That's nice car but I think it's for 2 person I think this the advance version of BUGGY?. The concept car must have advance features. I think a car must have minimum 4 person as a seating capacity.