Close

Popped a capacitor in my CR-10 V2. Advice appreciated.

I was attempting to install a BLTouch on my CR10 V2. Every tutorial had conflicting info. My BLTouch has white, black, red, brown, and yellow/orange wires. I attempted to install it as I saw in the official creality video. I turned it on, heard and saw a pop. It smells. The fan runs when it is on but the screen will not turn on. I assume a capacitor popped due to polarity being reversed. What steps can I take now? I have soldering experience, so I'm hoping I can just replace the capacitor, not the entire board. Could anyone point me in the direction of a parts diagram so I can replace the capacitor and/or a tutorial for this BLTouch? Any advice is appreciated.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Post a really clear large photo of your controller board on a share like google drive post the link.
    This photo should be easily viewed as we will have to see what components could have smoked.

When posted will have a look see what could be the problem, though from a guess I would say that you blew a regulator chip.

capacitor pic.jpgI blew C3 on the main board in the power supply. It is in the center of the picture.
    I can order a new one and solder it in, I just need to know the value.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FlashFlood; 08-31-2020 at 03:04 PM.

I can not see anything in the photo you posted. It is so small it look like it could be used for a postage stamp.
    Could you post a large one to a share Like Google Drive then post the link to the photo here.

Thank You.

My apologies. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AYc...ew?usp=sharing This link should show it. C3 is located just right of center in the photo. Thanks for the help.

I would!
    Does any one know what the value of this Capacitor. I can see it is a yellow electrolytic but can find no image clear enough to read the value. Will ask a friend.

Thanks, I am hoping this is just a fun story to tell, not an expensive mistake.

From my experiences the controllers are durable.
    I made many mistakes though I killed 2 controllers over 3 years. I was replacing stepper motors and killed the drivers.
    And the Drivers on My controllers and soldered to the controller, tried to replace them though never succeeded.
    I thought I purchased the correct driver chips though may not have or have other problems it is in the past now.

have you checked with your vendor for warranty?

I have not. I think it wouldn't be covered as I broke it while making a modification.