Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hydrofoil Adapter piece challenge

I have a question for the 3D print world. can you create a mold for a male and female end to fit in the attached photo? I have no clue how to use 3D software

Staff Engineer
    It's probably useful to attach the photo. Be sure to include some form of size reference. Is your hydrofoil a real-world vessel or are you building a small-scale (or large-scale) version?

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    It's probably useful to attach the photo. Be sure to include some form of size reference. Is your hydrofoil a real-world vessel or are you building a small-scale (or large-scale) version?
    I just figured out how to attach the photo. it is a surfing hydrofoil. the piece would go between the tail and the front wing. it would extend the fuselage. I can attach more photos and measurements

Staff Engineer
    I'm looking forward to seeing the photo(s).

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Yep sounds interesting

This is really a great platform to grab some new and knowledgeable experiences.

I apologize. I can’t seem to figure out how to put a photo up. I’m still trying. I might have to switch browsers

Staff Engineer
    If you haven't yet, switch to advanced when posting and scroll down below the message window for the Manage Attachment button. Use the Browse button that appears in the next dialog box, then after finding and selecting the file, use the upload button to "bring it in." It will appear a few lines down after the transfer is completed. Close the window and it will appear in your message. I added this picture of 3D printed banana holders to ensure I was describing the steps properly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i finally got a photo attached!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff Engineer
    Your original question, almost lost in the haze, was to determine if you could make a mold for the joint of the parts shown. It's likely that can be accomplished, as you have the components available to measure. There are different 3D modeling programs, rather good ones that are free to use. Even the more complex and powerful program, Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists. I'm a fan of OpenSCAD, a text based 3D modeling program.

You'd measure the male portion of the part, create it and use that creation to subtract (boolean difference) from the female portion.

An aspect of your mold-making project would be if the mold can tolerate the material to be used. Metal casting is done with various filaments. Silicone molding is reasonably easy with 3D printed molds. What materials are you considering to cast?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast