Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Print quality and $$'s.

I've been using my Printrbot Simple Metal and Simplify3D for about 6 weeks now. Spent a lot of time getting things calibrated and properly set up. I'm really amazed and pleased with the quality of prints that I'm getting. I know this is not the case across the board but when I look at prints people have done on Thingiverse and Youtube with other printers I see some pretty bad quality. Not all of course but a lot for sure.

Even when I look at samples from the "prosumer" models like the Ultimaker 2 and MakerBot Replicator, they don't look anywhere near the quality I'm getting with my Printrbot. I'm not picking on any particular printer models, I'm too much of a newb to really to really know for sure, I'm just thinking out loud on what I seem to be seeing. I watched the video on the MakerBot display at HomeDepot and the prints looked horrible.

Is it merely the fact that I have a good setup and some don't take the time or is it really the printer? I'm already looking to upgrade to a more prosumer model with a larger build platform but honestly I haven't seen anything yet that makes me want to spend the $$'s. Gotta say I do love my little Printrbot Metal.

A lot of these prebuilt printers print 'horribly' out of box and still need considerable calibration to produce acceptable prints. In my honest opinion, the higher priced models are a rip off and it's the little ones like the simple metal etc that really make this industry shine.

Engineer
    i have to agree with meo. simplify3d doesnt hurt either. its a fantastic slicer.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by dklassen View Post
    I've been using my Printrbot Simple Metal and Simplify3D for about 6 weeks now. Spent a lot of time getting things calibrated and properly set up. I'm really amazed and pleased with the quality of prints that I'm getting. I know this is not the case across the board but when I look at prints people have done on Thingiverse and Youtube with other printers I see some pretty bad quality. Not all of course but a lot for sure.

Even when I look at samples from the "prosumer" models like the Ultimaker 2 and MakerBot Replicator, they don't look anywhere near the quality I'm getting with my Printrbot. I'm not picking on any particular printer models, I'm too much of a newb to really to really know for sure, I'm just thinking out loud on what I seem to be seeing. I watched the video on the MakerBot display at HomeDepot and the prints looked horrible.

Is it merely the fact that I have a good setup and some don't take the time or is it really the printer? I'm already looking to upgrade to a more prosumer model with a larger build platform but honestly I haven't seen anything yet that makes me want to spend the $$'s. Gotta say I do love my little Printrbot Metal.
    People suffer from what I call "Fugly Print Vision" Which is where they are so in love with their printer (which I can understand) that anything that comes out of it seems like gold to them, no matter how poorly it came out, how fat the lines, how many holes, how curved the base is.. etc etc.. they still post a picture for all its glory.

I think the same as you often, and this is till after a couple of years. I see people with $3000 and $4000 machines and they just can't set them up well enough to print as well as my el cheapo Flashforge which was 1/3 the price. Sure, it's noisy as hell and vibrates the entire room, but the print quality is still pretty impressive to me.

Technician
    Funny you should mention Flashforge. I've been gravitating towards the Creator X as maybe my next printer.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Skip the Creator X and get the Creator Pro. Creator X is discontinued anyway but there are some out there to purchase. Most of the Creator X can be updated in some way to Pro but I wouldn't do it unless you got a steep discount on the X.

Technician
    Yep, I meant to say Pro. I saw that the other day. I was all geared up to spend the big bucks on a MakerBot or Ulti, but I'm rethinking the whole thing.

Engineer-in-Training
    Yes it seems that user-configuration is the most important thing for quality.

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    Ok, how about the craftbot instad? Yes it havent been out of the factory, but what do you guys think about it? Im seriously thinking on getting one but im not so sure, be cause im completly brand New to 3D printing. Cheers

Engineer-in-Training
    It has the CoreXY gantry, which is supposed to be a high precision type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast