Close

Technician

"this is what I want, which 3d printer should I get"?

Hi guys.
    I've finally decided to get my first 3d printer.
    I've been thinking about this for over a year.
    I'm a 3d modeller.

I hope you guys can help me decide which 3d printer to get.

I was thinking about Solidoodle for few months, but lately found out about Davinci. It costs around $300 less so I can spend that on something else like Filastruder, and it has the same characteristics which I need.

This is what I need:

1) at least a 100 micron minimum print resolution
    2) at least 20 cm cubed (7.8 inches) print size
    3) 1.7 mm nozzle
    4) not cost too much ($500 will be a great price, $700 would be pretty nice)
    5) be available for purchase. No Kickstarter/Indiegogo, etc.
    I'm not a tech guy, so the hardware being open source is not a big deal for me.
    Print speed is also important, please mention.

So what will you guys suggest? Should I get the Davinci instead? Is there some other printer I'm not aware of which fits my requirements and you think I should check out?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by cipher0; 07-14-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    By most of your specs it looks like you have based your requirements on the Davinci. 1.7 nozzle? No the filament is 1.75mm...approx.

For what reason do you require a 7.8x7.8x7.8in build volume?

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    For what reason do you require (at least) a 7.8x7.8x7.8in build volume?
    Because I need a large build volume? :/
    (I'm a 3d designer)

Super Moderator
    What I was getting at is why not 11x11x11? Every object I have seen created by an XYZ looks like a wicker basket. The concept of the printer looks good but it is trying to be a cheaper "cube"...kind of a one size fits all platform, press a button and something prints. Does XYZ make you buy only their filament? How expensive is it? The "Cube" filament is about 3 times more expensive than the market price. It looks to me like XYZ is trying to build an "ecosystem" around their printers. Is this good for them? Maybe... Is it good for the consumer? eh, probably not as good as it is for the seller.

If it is the only printer in your price range then go for it. I would probably look at the Printerbot first though. It may not be as ABS friendly though. Not sure on that part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKfvSjoyQbI

Technician
    Well I said "at least" 8''. The bigger the better for me. I dint take that from Davinci. It seems to be the standard build volume I found in printers in the <800$ price range.
    If you know of a printer with bigger print volume at that price range, please do tell me.

And you're right, I learned about the proprietary cartridges of Davinci after posting this. Since I've said here I'm also thinking of buying a Filastruder (or some other extruder, if you can suggest a better one), this printer is not for me.

Why do you recommend the Printrbot? Seems like Iphone of 3d printers to me. Overpriced i think.

Super Moderator
    I would buy a more expensive printer before spending money on making your own filament. Market price of spools of filament isn't too bad at about 3-5cents a gram. You would still have to buy the pellets to extrude your own and take the time to make and reel it up. The raw materials are cheaper though, looks like about 1-2 cents a gram. Interesting, might have to look into making filament some time, however I would rather not have the additional ABS odor exposure.

Technician
    The Printrbot is over priced? I was quite happy with the $600 price and even happier with the printer. No doubt I made the right choice. Having said that, yes the build volume is 6x6 but that can be pretty easily expanded to 8x8. Getting ready to also add a heated bed. No wicker baskets coming out of my house. LOL.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by cipher0 View Post
    It costs around $300 less so I can spend that on something else like Filastruder, and it has the same characteristics which I need.
    I'd look at other kits before ordering the filastruder or even making your own.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by cipher0 View Post
    Well I said "at least" 8''... It seems to be the standard build volume I found in printers in the <800$ price range.
    If you know of a printer with bigger print volume at that price range, please do tell me.
    FYI - MakerFarm recently started shipping their latest variation, a 10-inch Prusa i3v starting at $620 USD. It's a kit, but definitely in that price range.

Engineer-in-Training
    Like I told the previous person, a Flash Forge or a Wanhou, if you can do $1000. Has a heated bed.