Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Printing on Vinyl Film (Calendered Vinyl)

I have discovered during my many attempts at finding an adhesive material for 3d Prints to stick a great surface to run your prints on. Vinyl Film or some call it vinyl decal and signage material. I works great. you don't need glues or tapes. Here is a link to a video I made of it ..

Tested on PLA an ABS only. Let me know what you think and if you test it with others filaments. Thanks
    Last edited by hangdog242; 09-27-2015 at 04:03 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    I've thought of using vinyl film before, I wasn't sure how it would react when using a heated bed or with the head from the extruder nozzle on the first layers. I'd be concerned over fumes or other chemicals that may be release when heated.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I've thought of using vinyl film before, I wasn't sure how it would react when using a heated bed or with the head from the extruder nozzle on the first layers. I'd be concerned over fumes or other chemicals that may be release when heated.
    This stuff can take the heat of the bed. It's made to withstand hot surfaces, like signage with hot light bulbs behind them. it sits on window in the sun all day and those temperature are way above 60, 70 degrees. If you think about i,t I would be more worried about heating glues and tapes. First layer prints causes no problem. because the nozzle isn't touching the bed. As long as the nozzle is moving it won't damage the vinyl film.

Try it, test it out. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the reply.

Engineer
    Stay the F**** out of vinyl, you don't want to be intoxicate with chlorine. Funny because there were some components made of PVC in my printer board which has burnt last weak.The fume cause my asthma crisis, pharyngite due to weaker system immune and on top of that pneumonia. Took a radio and my left lung has some nasty crap....

Fluor is even worse, don't make me say it....

A valid concern if one cannot identify the material as not being PVC. I found this article after I read your post, richardphat: http://thesoftlanding.com/when-is-vinyl-not-pvc-2/

At what temperature is chlorine fumes a problem? According to Wikipedia it starts decomposing at 140°C. What about EVA and PEVA vinyls, which do not contain chlorine, do they have the same useful properties? What is self adhesive vinyl film made from.
    Last edited by tahustvedt; 10-03-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Engineer
    i tried vinyl 3 years ago. i have a large vinyl cutter here in my shop and about 50 different types of vinyl. i tried at least 6-10 of them and nothing would stick to it at all.

Engineer
    The thing is you cannot identify the composition of the vinyl, it's like gambling. Unless you know it's fluorine or chlorine free, then I would not take any chance.

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    i tried vinyl 3 years ago. i have a large vinyl cutter here in my shop and about 50 different types of vinyl. i tried at least 6-10 of them and nothing would stick to it at all.
    The one i use is oracal 651 intermediate cal. bed temp at 60c.

I understand everyone's concern about the harm it might have because of fluorine or chlorine, but I not printing in an non ventilated room. I wouldn't printed with glues on painter's tape in a non vented room either and for the fact that i'm melting plastic. Here is a link to safety date sheet on the material I use, for those concern. Oracal 651. http://www.orafol.com/tl_files/conte...ediate-cal.pdf. If you don't think it's safe please don't use it.

I want to try it. I have some vinyl of unknown composition, transparent inkjet decal media, but it shouldn't decompose at sub 100°C if it's PVC anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast