Close

Engineer-in-Training
    Add jamcultur on Thingiverse

Quarantine prints - 2. Vase & bowls

It took 54 hours to print the silver vase and its base. It stands 29 cm / 11.25 inches tall. I printed about 20 different bowls during quarantine. I started by writing a simple parametric program in OpenSCAD to generate bowl designs. I found that the parameters interacted in ways that made it hard to predict what the bowl would look like. The blue and yellow bowl designs were generated with that program. Then I wrote a generative program which had the computer randomly choose the seven key parameters that generated the bowl shape. It can generate billions of different bowl designs, some simple, some complex, some symmetric, some asymmetric, none boring. The gold bowl and red bowl designs were generated by that program. The purple vase is a pre-COVID print. I included it because I've uploaded the Customizer script to Thingiverse so that people can use it to design their own vases and bowls: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2940243 (Click on a thumbnail to see a bigger image.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I found that the parameters interacted in ways that made it hard to predict what the bowl would look like.
    yeah, I write scripts like that :-)

Often I aim for a range of useful sizes and find that parameters outside that have unexpected results :-)

but 2 days and 8 hours for one print !
    Holy crap batman - what printer was this on ?

Any chance of the script ?
    No clue how you are generating those curvy shapes.
    Okay spotted the link :-)

Cool script :-) Going to have some fun with that.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-21-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add jamcultur on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    yeah, I write scripts like that :-)

Often I aim for a range of useful sizes and find that parameters outside that have unexpected results :-)

but 2 days and 8 hours for one print !
    Holy crap batman - what printer was this on ?

Any chance of the script ?
    No clue how you are generating those curvy shapes.
    Okay spotted the link :-)

Cool script :-) Going to have some fun with that.
    54 hours was actually for two prints. It took 34 hours to print the silver part and 20 hours to print the copper part. The silver part has a lot of wall and very little infill, and that takes a long time to print. I used a 0.16 layer height on a Qidi Tech X-Plus. It's a great printer, much better than my Ulitmaker 2 Go.

I wrote my own extrude module in OpenSCAD. It uses Bezier splines to the extrude curvy shapes in the silver vase. I added sine waves together to get the bowl shapes. Those ways of generating shapes aren't in the script I uploaded to Thingiverse, although the script on Thingiverse will let you generate some interesting shapes. Have fun!
    Last edited by jamcultur; 07-21-2020 at 01:35 PM.

that is how you should spend the pandemic