Close

Engineer-in-Training
    Add jamcultur on Thingiverse

Quarantine prints - 1. Chain mail & chain

I've been designing and printing almost every day for the past four months while staying home from COVID-19. I'd been thinking about making chain mail for a while, where the links are printed interlinked with each other. So my first quarantine project was designing customizable chain mail. The face mask doesn't protect from viruses, but it might help with social distancing. I've uploaded my chain mail customizer script to thingiverse so that people can generate their own chain mail designs: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4278162 Click "Open in Customizer" to design your own, or download the script and run it in OpenSCAD.Then I got the idea to see how big a chain with interlinked links I could print in my Qidi Tech X-Plus. Its print bed is 270 x 200mm. It took 5 prints to print the whole chain, and each print had to be paused midway to either change filament or to add printed previously printed links to partially printed links. All of the parts from the first four prints had to be in the printer while the last links printed. They wouldn't all fit on the build plate without the hot end bumping into them, so I hung sections of chain over the edge of the build plate. (Click on thumbnail for a bigger pic.)
    ChainMail1.JPGChainMail2.jpgBigChain1.JPGBigChain2.jpgBigChain3.JPG
    Last edited by jamcultur; 07-20-2020 at 09:52 AM.