Close

Painting 3d prints

Sorry if this has already been posted. Been searching the web to try to find an answer for my question. I'm relatively new to 3d prints and looking for a way to paint my prints to look like they are porcelain or glass. I am printing in PLA. Is there a method that will allow this? The most common result I came up with in google was acrylic paint. I have tested with and without primer but neither produces the result I am looking for. Has anyone had success with this? Or is there a post you can refer me to? I tried searching the forum but did not see a post relating to this. Thank you in advance for any help!

Google "3d printing post processing" You will find lots of info.. in the end, this is not injection molding, you will need to process it like wood or any other non smooth item if you want it to look smooth.. sand fill sand fill sand fill prime prime paint.. you get the idea, it is a lot of work, but a search will provide details and ideas.
    Good luck and have fun!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I pretty much just use spray paint - I find that cheap (pound shop) automotyive paint works excellently on 3d prints.

While clear lacquers tend to not be quite so effective.