Close

Nylon 230 filament outer layer

I use a Creality CR 10s Pro printer and my first attempt with the Nylon 230 filament using 240c on extruder head and 0c on bed and a 50% infill the outer layer is not sticking to the infill. The outer layer stretches and warps on the surface. Can this be avoided? I am an amateur with little experience in 3D printing.

Nylon needs to be dried before every use. I use a food dehydrator for no less than 8 hours if the roll has be out of a vacuum sealed bag for more than a couple hours. Not sure about 230, I have used 245 which warps off the plate no matter how much glue I use. I the part must be nylon try the 910 as it warps less. Last part I printed with 645 a few weeks ago were mount for a solar panel and nozzle temp was 265C but I was using a .75mm nozzle so more heat was needed. If you are having adhesion issues it is not hot enough so try 250 and 255C.. if you did not dry the nylon, it is too wet..
    Bigger nozzles work better, slower works better than faster, no fan. Good luck, I don't normally print large of thin parts with nylon do to the warping.

Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    Nylon needs to be dried before every use. I use a food dehydrator for no less than 8 hours if the roll has be out of a vacuum sealed bag for more than a couple hours. Not sure about 230, I have used 245 which warps off the plate no matter how much glue I use. I the part must be nylon try the 910 as it warps less. Last part I printed with 645 a few weeks ago were mount for a solar panel and nozzle temp was 265C but I was using a .75mm nozzle so more heat was needed. If you are having adhesion issues it is not hot enough so try 250 and 255C.. if you did not dry the nylon, it is too wet..
    Bigger nozzles work better, slower works better than faster, no fan. Good luck, I don't normally print large of thin parts with nylon do to the warping.
    Thank you for a very helpful reply.

Sorry to jump on your thread but I too am new to printing. Would increasing the bed temp for nylon help to prevent warping and adhesion issues or would it work against you if you have these sorts of issues?

Quote Originally Posted by wokkywokky View Post
    Sorry to jump on your thread but I too am new to printing. Would increasing the bed temp for nylon help to prevent warping and adhesion issues or would it work against you if you have these sorts of issues?
    I have found that keeping the nylon filament dry and not having long contact areas with the building plate as well as using Aprintapro Printafix on the standard build plate works for me. When I say long contact areas I mean over a couple of centermeters as it seems to me that the nylon shrinks slightly in the middle causing the ends to lift off the build plate. I also use a skirt (1 layer with 6 outer layers) and raft.

The one downside that I forgot to mention is that for this first batch, it's going to have to be colored. I'm basically picking up where someone left off with my distributor, and until I order 1000lbs for a custom batch, I have a very limited color choice. To keep the price down I'm probably going to offer just black for now, but that's should only be temporary. I was actually planning on eventually just getting a huge order of clear, and then using acid dye to get a wide variety of colors, even multicolored or tie-dye if people wanted it.