Close

epoxy resin pressure applied to 3d print for bonding + strength??

Hello, new member, and novice 3d printer I'm sure.I was just wondering if anyone has tried to strengthen 3d prints for applications that are in tension or subject to shear using something like an epoxy which is applied and left to cure under pressure (say using a pressure cooker [as the lid can be removed] ) and compressed air fittings installed to pressurise the vesselthis is similar to what they do with carbon fibre curing but I am not going to apply heat just pressure which may force the epoxy into the model and apply a better bond than just a surface adhesion.Does anyone know of a FEA analysis tool that may be able to predict 3d print failure? (Long shot.... but thought I would ask).

Staff Engineer
    I'd seen a video somewhere on the 'Tube that tested model strength after epoxy application. No pressure application, just straight forward brush on and cure type of stuff. The results were encouraging, about twenty-five percent stronger. Because most FFF prints are not watertight, nor airtight, in a pressure container, you'd get epoxy intrusion right where it can do the most good, in my opinion.

It's an easy enough concept to test at home, especially with the abundance of pressure pots used for resin casting and the like. A common hack is to use a Harbor Freight paint pot and close off the ports.

If you need even more strength, short fiber chopped fiberglass or carbon fiber applied to the model with the epoxy will get you a near bulletproof surface. I fiberglassed a 2 liter soft drink bottle to have a higher pressure horn for my AirZound 2. Four years after putting it out to pasture, it was still holding pressure and never blew up, despite the 120 psi loaded into it.

thanks for that, yes I'm looking at paint pressure pots, I've got a 2 litre paint pressure pot that I've not used for a while so it's kind of working out to try out.....

Why not just use printed carbon fiber? There are some new additives that work with printed parts (I'm trying some next week) that make them much stronger but they are geared toward industrial design, not one offs.