Close



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Is it recommended to install two fans for a sealed enclosure?

    Hi, my bedroom is very small and it only has a small sliding window on the top. So, ventilation is very poor. If I build a sealed enclosure, is it better to have two fans one for air intake and one for fume exhaustion? Where is the best place to drill the holes for the fans to avoid ruining the prints due to the air circulation of the fans? I mainly print in PETG and PLA.

  2. #2
    Engineer Roberts_Clif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    788
    Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    My 3D Printer enclosure has a light dimmer control and a bathroom fan. I have a vent hole that the fan draws air from.

    When printing any model with air flow can ruin prints, I use only enough air flow to keep smell moving to outside vent.
    I have printed ABS with this constant air flow low enough that the print came out near perfect.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 06-24-2020 at 07:31 AM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    My 3D Printer enclosure has alight dimmer control and a bathroom fan. I have a vent hole that the fan draws air from.

    When printing any model with air flow can ruin prints, I use only enough air flow to keep smell moving to outside vent.
    I have printed ABS with this constant air flow low enough that the print came out near perfect.
    By vent hole, do you mean just a hole?

    I don't know if it is a good idea to seal the door. If I seal it and use only one fan, there is no air to go in. If I leave some gap perhaps just like a vent hole in your case, those toxic nano particles could leak out. What do you think?

  4. #4
    I have no vent and no fan in my enclose.. but I do have a heater in it for ABS and Nylon. I leave the doors off (drop on hinges) when printing PLA and PETG.

  5. #5
    Engineer Roberts_Clif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    788
    Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    I have a plastic front which cover 90% of the front leaving about 10% of the bottom front that is used to draw air.
    In the back of my enclosure I have a bathroom fan that is used to suck the smelly air to the outside of my house threw a vent.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7,658
    well given that pla and pet-g don't give off noxious fumes, why bother enclosing ?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    I have a plastic front which cover 90% of the front leaving about 10% of the bottom front that is used to draw air.
    In the back of my enclosure I have a bathroom fan that is used to suck the smelly air to the outside of my house threw a vent.
    Thanks. Do you have a photo to illustrate the idea? Is it better to put the fan above the printer or near the build plate?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well given that pla and pet-g don't give off noxious fumes, why bother enclosing ?
    I and family members have been feeling sick for abut three days after printing PETG in a toilet for about 7 hours. I guess even with the ventilation on, printing for so many hours created a large concentration of fume that were released when I opened the door. There are also scientific studies to show that even PLA emits invisible toxic nanoparticles that can enter the bloodstream.

  9. #9
    Engineer Roberts_Clif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    788
    Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by new3dprintinguser View Post
    Thanks. Do you have a photo to illustrate the idea? Is it better to put the fan above the printer or near the build plate?
    Photo
    The Twins-2020.jpg

    I had the Camera against the wall,
    The Enclosure is a Full 4 x 8 foot sheet of plywood with two Clear 24w X 18h inch Plastic sheet hanging from a 4 foot hinge.
    Leaving a 24 X 6 inch gap at the bottom, I have two thermometers one behind each 3D Printer.
    The inside area is a single compartment with a bathroom fan in the rear and Dual Raspberry Pi's attached from top.
    A light dimmer is attached on the right side to adjust the fan speed.

    Hope this gives you an ideal

    Here is a photo of my First ABS printed model for my MPCNC.

    XY_C_Burly.jpg

    For This Carriage

    carriage.jpg
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 06-23-2020 at 09:37 AM.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7,658
    Quote Originally Posted by new3dprintinguser View Post
    I and family members have been feeling sick for abut three days after printing PETG in a toilet for about 7 hours. I guess even with the ventilation on, printing for so many hours created a large concentration of fume that were released when I opened the door. There are also scientific studies to show that even PLA emits invisible toxic nanoparticles that can enter the bloodstream.
    Fair enough :-)

    Although there has yet to be any conclusive toxicity studies - pretty sure I've read everything over the last 10 years or so.

    But if you're going to concentrate any fumes in a small space without ventilation for 7 hours and then breath them all in at once - I can see where you might get issues :-)

    So you basically want an in fan at the top of an enclosure facing the room and an out going through some dryer ducting and out the window.
    You can print a nice adaptor for the window.

    Try and avoid any direct airflow at the level of the build plate.

    you could probably get away without an active exhaust as the hot air will create it's own draft - like a chmney does. But that can be an issue if it gets windy utside, so keeping up the negative pressure inside the enclosure doesn't hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •