Close

Wood PLA filament

Hey, has anyone tried this wood filament? It contains real wood particles that are supposed to give the object a wood texture.

https://www.cupotek.com/3D-GOLD-Fila...5mm-1Kg-Madera

I would like to know if it works like a normal PLA filament, or if I should adjust any printing parameters.

Thank you in advance for your help

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    ir works like normal filament.
    Although I tend to print mine on a cold bed. It's a bit like flexible filament in that respect.

Well, I say it works like normal filament - it can string - A lot !
    On the positive side most rub off easily with fingers and the rest go with gentle sanding.

That said I did print an articulated slung with otu any issues - so i guess you just need to get your retraction settings sorted and print speed low-ish.

My dog chewed that particular slug up
    There are many others - it's one of my favourite models off thingiverse :-)

I used the esun wood filament to make a chess set and board. Strings like a bitch, warps like a bitch, does not take stain, does not look like wood if you are thinking it will have grain, over all I probably won't use it again. It is suggested by the manufacture to use a .4mm or larger nozzle and taller layer heights.. I used a .5 nozzle with .3 layer and had no clogging issues.. ended up painting the cheese set board tiles and pieces so they look sort of like wood.. Printed everything flat so the layers would sort of look like grain
    Pics here https://misc.airscapesart.com/chessset/

Interesting I had zero warping and like I said I printed it on an unheated bed. Mine is the good stuff - not cheap.
    I won it in a competition to guess what the filament was for a bunch of different types :-)
    IT's colorfabb.

And the brand really does make a difference !
    The cheap stuff can clog and burn and - apparently - warp :-)

this acorm brooch is as it printed.

I did try a 'walnut' stain. Not convinced it looks like walnut - but it does look like it's got some grain.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-20-2020 at 06:37 PM.

Does the wood pla warp or melt in sun or heat like regular pla?

Does the wood pla warp or melt in sun or heat like regular pla?
    As I've never had ANY pla warp or melt in sun - so I'd have to say no.

do you all live in death valley or what ?

[QUOTE=curious aardvark;144548]As I've never had ANY pla warp or melt in sun - so I'd have to say no. /QUOTE]

Says the man from the center of the UK.. :-)
    Outside summer temp in the shade here in the glorious dirty violent city of Philadelphia PA USA gets to 100+ F, add the sun and you got soft plastic..
    Esun wood warped a bit on the bed when using just polymide tape printed at 100% infill. I had to add glue stick to keep it flat.. but Esun is not the best from what I hear.

but Esun is not the best from what I hear.
    obviously not :-)
    I can usually get away with printing and of the hybrid pla's on a cold bed. Not found any with either added materials or made flexible that actually need a heated bed.

I did try some of the very first wood filamnt that came out (kai parthy ?) - and it was bloody awful stuff.
    way too much wood and way too large particles. It was just too brittle to print with.

The colorfabb prints almost exactly like decent pla.
    And the other brand I have that comes in different 'wood' colours also prints great.

I suppose weather wise - there are advantages to living somewhere that doesn't see oven temperatures more than a few times a year - but then it's not really stopped raining this week, and it's cold and grey and just damn miserable.
    So I guess we pay our dues for living somewhere pla will never go soft :-)

haven't used this one but have used a wooden filament that's quite similar. The presence of these particles gives the 3D printed parts the aesthetics of real wood (woodymanreviews). This filament is also less abrasive compared to other composite filaments such as carbon-fiber filled and metal filled, since wood particles are much softer. There are some wood-like filaments on the market that only contain wood coloring, but no actual wood particles, so these typically have a very different look and feel.