Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Actually it seems the main issue with simplify 4.1 was my version of windows.
    Necessity has forced me to start using windows 10 - the hardware I'm currently building machines from for clients, just won't run under 7 - no way no how.
    Amd socket am4 boards and cpus have to not only have 10 but the latest version with all updates as well.
    After that - holy cow are the machines impressive !
    The entry level 200ge £45 chip is significantly faster than the previous generation intel I7s.
    Well all the ones I've benchmarked anway. The ddr4 ram helps, but because amd have put almost everything on the processor itself - rather than on the motherboard chipset. Stuff just works ridiculously fast.
    It also means that future hardware improvement support, can be incorporated on the cpu's - meaning the motherboards have a much longer working life than previous chipsets.
    Having to tell someone that their 2 year old machine needed a total rebuild, because the hardware was no longer available, when something failed - has always been an annoyance in my line of work.

So I'm using windows 10 pro now (add classic shell and Windows Update Blocker and it's actually pretty good) for all new builds and my new workshop machine - and the latest simplify3d (4.1x - no clue what the x is)) works every bit as well as 4.0.
    No crashes or lockups, retains settings between usage etc.
    Maybe it was the 32bit software I was using before - no idea.
    But it's definitely running as well as 4.0 on windows 7

There is a way to deploy sliced files over a network connection with simplify3d - I've never used it, but definitely seen it mentioned somewhere :-)
    I just use sd cards.

I guess to a certain extent, the best slicer is the one you're used to.
    I went from makerbot desktop to simplify3d (version 2) (which was half the cost it is now) and have been using it almost exclusively for the last 6 years.
    I was lucky - I had a hands on demo from the 3DP guys, at one of the early tct shows. back when the people who showed up at tct were the people who actually started and ran the companies. Only 5 years ago !
    This is a ridiculously fast moving industry.
    These days all the booths are manned with either minions or locally hired staff who have no clue about anything.

I've never got simplify3d to work with dual extrusion - so for that I use flashprint on my klic-n-print.
    But I think that's more my problem than theirs. Pretty much the only thing makerware made easy was the dual extrusion. And flashprint is even easier.
    My biggest issue with flashprint is that it doesn't allow you to add any custom start/end gcode.

slic3r has always looked quite good. And bundled in with repetier it gives you printer control as well which cura and prusa don't.

I guess they all have their own plusses and minuses.
    Most of the newer ones just seem a little too simplistic to me.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-22-2020 at 05:55 AM.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Have setup PrusaSlicer - Slic3r quite some time ago using Cura Settings below, well today I am printing the first Model.

Decided to test PrusaSlicer today as nothing else to do. My workload has dropped to the point of only working 2 days a week.
    Sure am glad I decided to Retire 6 months early or would be as broke as a Church Mouse.

Today I am 3D Printing some Marvel mask ear supports protectors Using the Newest PrusaSlicer -Slic3r 2.3.0.
    It started somewhat slower than Cura 15.04.6 will need to change some settings, though it is 3D Printing the Marvel Ear Supports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12