Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Help! My prints are failing and I can't figure out why

I've had my Tronxy XY for over a year now. I've learned a lot thru trial and error and have gotten some really good prints. I use Repetier slicer. About a week ago I started having problems with prints falling apart. I have tried cleaning the nozzle, changing filament, changing settings, changing temperature, changing models. I triple checked the bed level. When none of that worked I changed the nozzle thinking for sure that it was clogged. Still no luck. I can print flat on the bed OK, (see the green broom holder pic) but anything with any kind of wall or feature that builds up off the bed doesn't stick together. My last test was to try a desk top organizer that I printed successfully, with the exact same settings and temp, just a couple of weeks ago and it also failed. (see gray stringy pic). I don't know what is wrong. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technician
    Nothing? Come on - I'm totally stuck here. I don't have a clue what to try next. Somebody has to have some idea that I can try.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well you posted at 22:08 on a friday night - just how many people do you think are online over night ?
    This is a worldwide forum - NOT just the bit of the states where you live :-)
    And it's saturday today - so most people aren't wasting time at work, looking at forums.
    Have a little patience.

It sounds like maybe the heater cartridge or thermistor is failing. Sounds like you've tried everything else.
    The stepper motor drivers would appear to be working fairly accurately, so the main reason for layers not adhering would have to be incorrect temperature.

What temps and speeds are you printing at ?

The other things to check are the basics.
    Check belts are tight.
    Any gears attached to stepper motor shafts are tight and grub screws are not loose.
    NO clogging on the extruder gears.
    All wires and connectors are solid and wires haven't worn or connectors worked loose.

Also check you haven't inadvertently changed something in the slicer.
    extrusion percentage, filament width - the kind of thing that might cause under extrusion.

The odds are it's something simple, but easy to overlook.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-20-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Technician
    Thanks. Didn't mean to sound mean. It was 7pm my time when I posted and I see I had several views - just frustrated. Temperature is what I was thinking, but didn't know what to check or how. I'll have to see what I can find about the thermistor and heater cartridge. I've recently tightened the belts and everything else seems solid. I'm printing with PLA with the nozzle temp at 225 and the bed around 50. I'll attach my print setting and welcome any advice for this problem or cleaner prints in general. Thanks

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Still today I use the older Cura 15.04.6 or if you like a Creality Slicer which is the a clone of Cura 15.04.6.

Below are my settings

1st Image.jpg

2nd Image.jpg

3d Image.jpg

4th Image.jpg

Included are my PLA and ABS configurations for Cura 15.04.6 or Creality Slicer
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 06-20-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Technician
    Yes! I'm back in business. I dug around this forum a little and found a link to a video about replacing the thermistor. It wasn't exactly like mine, of course, but it was enough to show me what it was so I could find mine. Mine doesn't have a screw - it's held in place with Kapton tape and I apparently pulled it loose last time I changed the nozzle. So I fixed that and I went from stringy weak prints to solid weak prints. I had a serious under extrusion problem. That was why I changed the nozzle to start with. I thought it was a problem that progressively got worse - apparently it was 2 separate problems. I finally figured out that the filament feeder was slipping. No noise - no indication except when I looked closely I could see that the follower with no teeth was not always moving. I took it apart and cleaned and oiled and got my first good print in about 2 weeks. Thanks for the help. I'll be sticking around because I know there will be more issues. I don't know how much help I will be to others, but I'll put my 2 cents in when I can.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well done :-)

Well you followed the advice and got the problem fixed.
    You'd be surprised how often that does not happen lol

Or the person just never posts again.
    Welcome to the forum.

@cliff - he's using repetier - which uses slic3r as the slicer.
    Unlike cura it will allows you to directly control the printer as well - a lot like simplify3d.

It's actually pretty good.

I understand though before I spend $150 dollars would have to test any program purchased with a trial run. And this is not provided by simplify3d.
    curious aardvark can I connect to my 3D Printers via internet or raspberry Pi using simplify3d, as my 3D Printers are no where close to a computer.

I Use Raspberry Pi with OctoPrint and can connect using a Web browser which gives me complete control over my 3D Printers.

No Clif, with S3d you slice on the pc and upload to octoprint and print. If you want to try a new slicer try the Prusa slicer which is slic3r under full development by Prusa and is free. I still use S3D but an older version as they really screwed up the software in recently releases. It is also fairly clear after using S3d for several year and then trying Prusa, S3D was just Slic3r to start..

Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    No Clif, with S3d you slice on the pc and upload to octoprint and print.
    If you want to try a new slicer try the Prusa slicer which is slic3r under full development by Prusa and is free.
    Thank You much.
    Though I have already tried many slicers, including Prusa slicer.

Slicers.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast