Close

How to avoid the thin and difficult to remove raft/support?

Hi, sometimes when the models are print using PETG on my Prusa i3 MK3, there is a very thin layer that is very difficult to remove (see "thin support without raft"). What caused the thin layer and how to avoid having it? Somebody suggested printing a raft of three layers. I did that but when I removed the model, the raft was so sticky that the bottom surface of the model got ripped off and stayed with the raft. What suggestions do you have to prevent that from happening?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have no idea why you would use a raft with PETG..

A Prusa support guy suggested it as a possible way to solve the problem. What is wrong in using a raft with PETG?

As far as I know a raft is used to help hold a small part to the bed. This I guess was and issue back in the day when printers were not very accurate, heated beds were not main stream and there was not a lot of quality filament? A raft puts down a bed of filament so the small part will stick to the filament raft better than the bed surface. PETG will stick to most bed surfaces too well.. I have had it remove chunks of glass from the bed when the part was removed.. so It just seams very strange to use a raft for petg.
    A raft is normally multiple layers thick so you can get it off the bed and then get the part off it it. A raft is just that a raft of plastic the part is printed on top of. If it is only one layer thick you are going to have a problem getting things off.

There are normally slicer settings that control how tightly the part sticks to the raft (separation distance)

Thanks. After their suggestion, I printed a raft with three layers. When I removed the model, the bottom surface of the model got ripped off because it sticked to the raft too much.

Usuaully I just use their PrusaSlicer. Are there better software that can get a better job done? I think you mentioned Simplied3D that has some issues.
    Last edited by new3dprintinguser; 06-17-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    I have no idea why you would use a raft with PETG..
    Yeah lol there's no need to use raft with PETG.