Close

Help with continued failed prints.

Hi all, I hope I'm in the correct section for this. I'm new to 3D printing and I need some advice on my ender 3 pro, as I'm continually have prints fail a portion of the way through. I wake up/come home to the print still in progress, however the filament has snapped at the extrudedr and is spiralling out further as the job continues. This has happened now to many different things I've tried printing and it's really frustrating as I have no idea what could be causing it.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    I have had filament break before I made my single sheet of plywood dual 3D Printer case.

The Twins 2018-3.jpg

I can not say that the filament inside my enclosure has not broke,
    though it has reduced filament breakage.

I have also found the 7 inch rolls of filament break,
    more often than the 8 inch rolls of filament by a exponential factor...

Student
    I've had a couple of snaps due to the spool jamming / the filament getting caught. Of course once it's snapped the evidence disappears .... If you havent printed up some guides and rollers yet, I'd definitely do that to ensure that nothing can jam. The extruder motor has plenty of power to snap filament : I was just lucky to be there once when it jammed and realised what was happening before it actually broke. In that case the internal webs of the spool caught on the spool holder. My advice is to get lots of different types of spool holder for different size spools. spool holder feeder.jpgfilment feeder.jpg This one for example tapers out from the centre so there's nothing to catch and it takes small diameter spools. However I did feel the need to wrap it in PTFE tape to improve the friction.

Hi, just wanted to say thankyou both for the responses and I apologize it took a while for me to respond, as I've been busy at work. Could I send you both a couple images to show exactly what's been happening with my printer, as I don't think I explained it very well?

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    If you looked at my 1st post you would see that I have a filament run-out sensor, on both of my 3D Printers.
    it was a simple project and was easily added to the controller and firmware.

Final run-out sensor with hole to show filament sensed.
    Filament Runout sensor.jpg

I started with this end-stop switch, though shown below there is a smaller end-stop switch that would work better
    Image2.jpgCut Lines.jpg
    I trimmed the switch module smaller, turned the switch 90 degrees then rewired to original schematics using hookup wire, a resister and LED.
    Filament Run-out.jpg

I see someone was watching the forum's closely and made this end-stop switch.
    Now no modifications need to be made to the above end-stop switch.

New End Stop Switch

My Original filament Run-out sensor post from 3 years ago is on the Forum.

Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 06-21-2020 at 07:57 AM.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by will_2309 View Post
    Hi, just wanted to say thankyou both for the responses and I apologize it took a while for me to respond, as I've been busy at work. Could I send you both a couple images to show exactly what's been happening with my printer, as I don't think I explained it very well?
    Sure. no worries.