Close

Student

Help ID board: Max Micron (Prusa Mendel I3 clone)

Hi all,I'm relatively good with 3d printers - my sons and I built a Printrbot Simple Metal back when they were in business, and I was easily able to access the board through the older version of Cura to send G and M commands to adjust the Z offset. I just got this used Max Micron (Prusa Mendel I3 clone), and while it works with Cura 4.6.1 using the FTDI driver, Cura 4.6.1 doesn't have a console to send the M commands to adjust offset. I've tried both the older Cura (14.0x) and Printrun/Pronterface, but neither of those will communicate with the board. The board doesn't look familiar and is only marked "Base V1.3". The documentation that came with it seems lacking, to say the least, but this picture of the motherboard before installation was included. (Note: where the picture says MPX.3, mine says Base V1.3".Motherboard to ID.jpgI'd be grateful for any help identifying this board and being able to communicate with it to set the offset.OH! It DOES have an LCD, listed in the instructions as a RepRap Ramps 1.4 LCD Controller. The Z offset on it is only adjustable from .50 and higher positive values, and does not raise the nozzle high enough to lay down the first layer.Thanks in advance,Jack

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    The controller shown in your image is from a Hictop 3D Printer family, I have many different though very similar Hictop controllers.
    All work with the same firmware. the first two do not have an onboard SD card slot relying on and LCD SD Card reader and the MPK v1 has a SD Card Reader.

Base 1.3 - This controller has a Heat sink that I installed for added protection of Driver Mosfets

Base 1.3.jpg

MPX.3
    MPX.3.jpg

MPK v1 - This is the newest Hictop Controller the others are scarce.

MPKv1.jpg

these controller cards are compatible with the Arduino Mega2560 and a ramps controller.
    If you need any assistance with firmware or finding a replacement Post.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 06-11-2020 at 07:00 PM.

Student
    Thanks! I will have to look around and try to find any sort of documentation for the LCD controller.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    I purchased a BigTree RepRap smart discount controller and had to make my own cables.

I have posted about this before though will give a quick rundown again.

Note that on this BigTree RepRap Discount Smart Controller the Key match the silkscreen
    BigTree.jpg

While on this one the Key Does not match the silk Screen.
    This one works with the Hictop Controller boards (image taken from Internet )
    Smart Disconut Controller.jpg

The connector housing can be removed and replaced to correctly represent the Hictops configuration
    And it then will work with the Hictop version of the LCD shown below.
    Rotated.jpg

The Original has a right angle LCD EXP1 and EXP2 connector, This one had a bad SD Card Reader and had to be replaced.
    Forcing me to go threw a lot of trouble testing to make the LCD work.

You could also remove the Black housing rotating it 180 degrees and replace it.

To test the connector was rotated 180 degrees Note Key on cable is up and notch is down.

Img_1931.jpg

This all happened a long time ago and is a little vague in my memories.