Close

Learning and advice needed

Hello!

So I am starting to get into 3D Printing. Right now I am just getting as much knowledge before I start. I just purchased a Creality Ender 3 Pro. I have purchased PLA and PETG filament as well. I have a few potentially stupid questions....... 1.) For FDM printing is UV curing still required? 2.) Any tips, advice and/hacks to print high detailed prints on the Ender 3 Pro? 3.) How durable and strong can FDM be? Just a thought but am I able to print tools and such using FDM?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    1) no :-) In fact keep abs away from uv - it doesn't like it.
    2) my only advice on ender 3's is to NEVER buy one. Other than that watch any of the several million videos on youtube on how to totally rebuild them to actually make them work :-)
    3) actually yes. 3d printed parts can even be stronger in some circumstances than injection moulded parts. A lot depends on the material and the orientation you print it in and the print settings you use.

Absolutely you can make tools - I mean don't expect a plastic spanner to be able to undo something like car wheel nuts. But for moderate use, they can be pretty good.

Pet-g is a total bastard to get good pruints from, but it IS worth persevering. Get the print settings right and you can make some incredibly strong parts.
    If you upgrade your hotend (let's face it, at some point pretty much ALL the bits of an ender 3 will be replaced) you'll even be able to print with polycarbonate. But you'll need a hotend rated for up to 300c first.

And before you ask - I've detailed the problems with ender 3's and creality i3's in general several hundred times on the forum - just look around :-)

This is my first post but I've been 3d printing for several years. I'm OK at it. I can make great parts in some materials and less great parts in others.

From my perspective, there are a lot of things that can only be learned by 3d printing stuff. Other things, can only be learned through research. I suggest you keep reading everything you can but also don't be afraid to start printing objects.

3d design can only be learned by reading and then doing. Treat it like an engineering class. Read the material, then work with it.

I spent a few months designing and printing anything that came to me in a whim. Early on, I would struggle but now I can see a part that is needed and have the physical form a few hours later. That approach served me well, although it certainly isn't the only way. At some point, however, you're going to need to build your 3d design chops or you will be relegated to printing novelties with your printer for the rest of your life.

I am new to the forum but have been 3D printing for a while now. As someone who started 3D printing on an Ender and still has one as one of my printers, I can assure you it will not need to be totally rebuilt to work. One thing it will need to be though is tuned, No printer is truly plug and play and all will need some tuning to perform at their best. There are lots of videos on Youtube that will help you with getting this done. I have learned a lot from Makers, Muse, Teaching Tech, The 3D Printing Nerd, and Dr. Vax on there. I would suggest that as the place to start. Once tuned then you can start working on getting some great prints. As you progress I guarantee you will want to mod your Ender 3. First thing I did was get better springs for the bed, the factory ones are terrible. There is a large amount of mods available and a huge user base that will be willing to assist you on forums, Facebook user groups, Youtube, Reddit, etc etc. TomB19 is correct that one of the best ways to learn is by doing lots of research and lots of printing. Print, and print, then print some more. I would suggest using a good quality filament. My go to for PLA is Hatchbox and I have had very good luck with it. curious aardvark hit the nail on the head about PETG. It offers strong parts but it can be a pain to print with. It really likes to warp while printing. I have found the best way to print this is with your printer in an enclosure. Nice warm environment and absolutely no drafts is the key to success with PETG. Best of luck on getting going with 3D printing. Starting out can be extremely frustrating. It sure was for me. But don't give up, it will be worth it, believe me. Get printing and reach out for help when you need it. Before you know it you will be a Michelangelo of plastic.