Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Engineer

Sense scanner By 3D Systems - $400 Just Announced

Wow, this is incredible. I would say this is a major disrupter in the 3D Printing/scanning industry, and it's brought to us by none other than the first major 3D Printing company to exist, 3D Systems. It's called the Sense Scanner, and it works like a charm. You don't need to know anything at all about 3d modelling, or scanning to use this device. The Sense Scanner will have a price point of just $399 and comes with it's own easy to use software. Unlike most scanners, you can carry this with you to, say, a party, and scan your friends. It's more like a camera than a traditional scanning device. To use it you simply paint over them as the software fills in all the gaps. Judging from the videos it does an amazing job.

Here is a video of the scanner in action, posted this morning:

The Sense is immediately available, and more info can be found here: Cubify.com/Sense.

I assume it kinda works like panorama on iphone. It gives you a grid and you fill it in by covering all areas. Brilliant idea.

Technician
    I need to see more examples of things that were scanned. Very vague video.

Article commenters on Engadget are ripping this company/device to shreds.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/08/3d-systems-sense/
    Last edited by crowbar; 11-08-2013 at 11:28 AM.

If this works like they claim, then it is worth the $400. However, like crowbar said, I'd love to see more examples, as the video doesn't really show much versatility. Can you scan big things? Small things? How big? How Small? How much details are captured, and how far from an object can you be? A lot of questions need to be answered before I would fork over $400.

Student
    "$400 (while ultimately extremely affordable in the relative sense) is still a lot to pay for a technology without a proven consumer track record. " $300 more than a Kinect, and the relative quality is about the same. I don't get it... and more appropriate, I "won't" get it.

Has anyone tried one of these or seen one in action yet? While it uses the same type components as a Kinect, it is in the software where we may see improvement? If they have developed decent software, it might just be a hit? I have seen some scans on Thingiverse done with the overpriced Makerbot unit that look awful! Not sure if it user error or the unit itself but I am glad I did not order one at Maker Faire!

Does anyone on this board have a working scanner of any type/brand yet?

Hey,

I've tried both kinect and sense. Sense is a lot more for scanning I think, easier to handle, better to work with. And I'm a big fan of Geomagic, and seems like they've come up with some nice software for Sense. The pro is the con however, it's a closed system. Anyway, it's a nice system, too bad I didn't have a chance to check on the small details on the engadget show. But comparing it to some professional scanners / like artec eva or large for example / it's really not that bad. Especially for that price. And sure, makes sense that some people compare it to the kinect, as one of the most known consumer 3d scanning technology out there, but this one comes from 3D systems. You might like or dislike them, but they have a tendency in acquiring the most forward-thinking companies and investing in the most advanced technologies.

One more thing. Scanning is about 30% the scanner, 30% the software, 40% the person who does the data processing. It's not just pushing a button and that's it. At least not right now, or not on the scale/level that people are expecting it to be. Sure, you can do fabulous things, it just takes time, money and experience. Just like in any other technology.

My sense scanner is being delivered tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think when I get some time to use it.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    Nice. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, once you receive it.
    Eddie

Technician
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/25/3...s-sense-review

Engadget has a review up.

Small objects are tough, though. And note how the company uses a basketball as one of the examples of small subjects -- that should give you a pretty good idea of the limitations here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast