Close

New to 3D printing and need guidence.

Hello everyone, I am new to 3D printing. I am looking to start tuning the printer as all the videos I see on Youtube recommend that I do. I am having a hard time figuring out where to start and with all the videos and websites to choose from, I am starting to get a bit of anxiety.

Current set up
    1. Ender Pro 3 with SKR Mini E3 1.2 board due to extruder driver failure - board has origional firmware it came with
    2. Matterhackers blue 1.75 ABS
    3. 0.4 extruder tip
    4. bed temp set to 100°C
    5. Nozzle temp set to 225°C
    6. Utilimaker Cura 4.5 (Read that this was the best free cutting software. May buy better software in future after trying out the 3D printing life and like it)
    7. Dumb 3D printing newbie

I will post picture of a Calibration cube I found a file for and a 9mm bullet I tried to design in TinkerCAD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    1st your model warped thous the curved up edges on your model cube.
    This could be because your first layer was incorrect, of the air flow in your 3D Printers environment.

2nd you will again note on the cube that you have layer that are not symmetrical,
    This could be cased by the Z-Axis couplers are not spinning true.
    you could add a single wrap of electricians tape on the lead screw end then press the lead screw into the coupler. this will give the couplers a smoother turning radius.

I would also ask you at what speed and layer height did you print the model?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    1st your model warped thous the curved up edges on your model cube.
    This could be because your first layer was incorrect, of the air flow in your 3D Printers environment.

2nd you will again note on the cube that you have layer that are not symmetrical,
    This could be cased by the Z-Axis couplers are not spinning true.
    you could add a single wrap of electricians tape on the lead screw end then press the lead screw into the coupler. this will give the couplers a smoother turning radius.

I would also ask you at what speed and layer height did you print the model?
    1. Are you talking about the air flow coming from the two fans on the printer head or possibly a ceiling fan that was on at full speed?
    2. Are you talking about the long screw shaft that the motor turns to move the printer head up and down?
    3. I am assuming you are talking about what Cura set as the layer height. I have not changed any setting in Cura except for nozzle and bed temps. The current layer thickness in Cura is set to 0.2mm. The print speed which I have also left alone in Cura is set to 50mm/s.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Any Air that will blow across the ABS while 3D Printing can cause a ABS warping.

The Lead Screws moves Nozzle Z-Axis up, down and if they are cause the Axis to wobble the cube layers will not be symmetrical.

"I have not changed any setting in Cura except for nozzle and bed temps."
    When Setting Up CUra you will need to configure the Machine you are slicing for.
    Bed Size
    Build Shape
    Heated Bed checkbox
    G-Code Flavor (RepRap (Marlin/Splinter)
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 05-17-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    Any Air that will blow across the ABS while 3D Printing can cause a ABS warping.

The Lead Screws moves Nozzle Z-Axis up, down and if they are cause the Axis to wobble the cube layers will not be symmetrical.

"I have not changed any setting in Cura except for nozzle and bed temps."
    When Setting Up CUra you will need to configure the Machine you are slicing for.
    Bed Size
    Build Shape
    Heated Bed checkbox
    G-Code Flavor (RepRap (Marlin/Splinter)
    I apologize, I did set Cura to know that I am working with and Ender 3 and verified the parameters it was preset with. I was up late messing with the machine and forgot to include that. Also, i guess I will have to try printing either with my fan off or a barrier to block the moving air.