Close

Thread: Reliability

Reliability

I am looking to buy a new large format 3d printer. I am looking at specs, features...
    The hardest thing to find is good reliability data. The best I have found so far is the Amazon ratings for the printers they sell. As I read the ratings, they are more of an initial quality rating rather than long term ratings, MTBF....

Any thoughts from anyone.

Tex

Not that I can help you but your price range is going to be required and your approximate build volume as well for anyone to help you.

I am looking for a build volume from 300 x 300 x 400 up to 500 x 500 x 500 mm, I am looking for something less than $2,000.

Tex

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what kind of things are you planning to make ?

Storage, personal car parts, adapters...

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well as far as reliability goes - generally if you want any kind if 'guarentee' that's worth the paper it would have been printed on before pdf's - then expect to pay a lot more money.

On the whole 3d printers are pretty reliable. they are fairly simple mechanical devices that are usually made from sturdy parts.
    Apart from the odd electronic failure, generally once you've got a printer modded and tuned - it'll run reliably for a significant time.
    Things like nozzle wear and clogging don't count :-) That's just normal wear and tear.

Also bear in mind that most of the printers currently on sale have existed for less than 2 years. So long term reliability data is not actually availble.

Classic designs like the replicator clones have proven reliability for over 6 years - got 2 myself :-)
    But printer designs and components change on an almost daily basis.

Classi example - the horrendous ender 3 has a new version the ender 3 x - presumably the x stands for 'x-temely unstable'. Where they remove part of the frame and make it even more tricky to use than before.

If you can find a budget fdm printer that has kept the exact ame configuration and coponent list for more than 18 months - I'll be surprised.

So, realistically what you are looking for is either a classic design - like the replicator clones (or an ACTUAL Prusa design I3), or a machine with lots of good reviews on amazon.
    A machine that works well from the get go - is usually fairly likely to keep on so doing :-)
    One that has constant issues, again - will often always have constant issues.

you know it depends on what stuff you will use and what u r gonna create. My advice to you to count firstly how much money you will be ready to spend. Then to focus on your previous usability, like what criteria is necessary. Then to check amazon and come back here. Or maybe to tell us it here n we'll help you)