Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Amazon Basicfil PET

Hi

Fairly new to 3D printing and as a result ended up with a few spools of this PET filament from Amazon.
    I'm really struggling to get any prints using it (done plenty of PLA prints)
    Ive tried every combination of settings I can think to try, with various degrees of success but printing always fails or completes with gaps.

Issue seems to be glopping which stops filament extrusion when the nozzle goes back over the gob, sometimes the extruder will click a few times and recover and can do this a few times before I guess it gets too blocked

Does anyone have working setting for this filament I can use as a starting point to try get this dialled in?

Thanks in advance

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what printer do you have ?

not sure about pet as it is different to pet-g.

But sounds like you're printing too fast or too cool or both :-)
    And probably need faster and longer retractions.

Printer is a Tronxy p802m. I've tried a slow as 30mm print speed and extruder from 220c up to 250c. Retraction length from 0.9 up to 6.5

30mm isn't that slow for pet.
    It's weird, sticky stuff when melted.

One reason we usually go for pet-g - and yes they are quite different. The 'g' stands for a glycol molecule that's tagged on to the polyethylene terepthalate.
    Changes the material properties quite a bit.

okay you've got a direct drive extruder - so keep your retractions down to under 2mm and run it slow - say 30mm/s.
    Also cut your fan speed right down.
    See what happens if we treat it like flexible filament.
    Which If I remember the roll I accidentally bought - it's pretty bendy stuff.

Is it sticking to the bed okay ?

PETG 230C Nozzle and Bed 70-80C, retraction I use from .8 -1.1 mm 30mms for retraction speed, print speed depends on part size and shape but 30mms is a good start. Z offset needs to be correct for your layer height. Use highest layer you can for your nozzle size. Extrusion Multiplier must be correct and PETG must be dry for good results. As I said in my first response, if you are under extruding and you have used PLA first and did not clean the nozzle with cleaning filament or other more difficult mechanical means, you are probably restricted.

Thanks will try what you have suggested and give it a try.

One thing it is doing well is sticking to the bed :-)

Early days but looks like print speed may have been my biggest problem, down to 20mm/sec and looking much better

yeah, while it's not tpu, because of how viscous it is wen it melts, it behaves very similiarly to a tpu in the extruder.

Glad we're heading in the right direction :-)

Never any fun having a bunch of filament you can't use (he says looking at 2 shelves of abs).

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post

Never any fun having a bunch of filament you can't use (he says looking at 2 shelves of abs).
    Yes you can, I know you can! just find a big card board box to put over the printer while it is printing! Fire up the bed to 110C 30 minutes in advance to heat the air in the box and you are good to go!

Massive improvement using 20mm/s and 1mm retraction managed a decent Benchy, struggled on the cab columns with mini jams so have some gaps, but I have a print ????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast