Close

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

Print your own 20x20 profile extrusion

Had a thought a couple hours ago about a 3d printed frame for a very small printer.
    So made up this profile to match the standard 20x20 aluminium extrusion profile.

Useful for testing brackets or attachments or strutnuts etc.
    And also for making a 3d printed frame that works with standard parts.

I've also included a heavy duty 30x30 profile that uses the same sized channels and nuts.

Just download and adjust z-height in your slicer to the length you want.
    :-)

In your slicer set 'outer perimeters to print first' for a stronger part.

The 50mm piece I printed at 0.3mm and 100mm/s is bang on - so now having ago at a 'fast' piece :-)
    Same 50mm but in 10 minutes in stead of 20 :-)
    0.4mm at 150mm/s
    Also don't forget I tend to use a 0.5mm nozzle as well. Makes things faster and stronger, while still being fine enough to knock out fully functional Iris boxes :-)

Added 25x25 and 30x30 - but with the same size channeling:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4334960
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-03-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I printed some of this out with a spool remnant and ended up with about 15cm of the 20x20.
    Printed at 0.4mm, 205c and 150mm/s.
    Dimensions were extremely good.

So I thought I'd snap it.
    Well tat didn't happen - astonishing layer bonding.
    I did make the mistake of giving it to my dad and sayimng:'see if you can snap this.'
    2 minutes later, he'd used the metal balcony rail to wedge against the plastic and managed to snap it by leaning all his weight on either end.
    lol - after 50 odd years I should realise by now that he treats the phrase: 'virtually unbreakable' as merely a challenge :-)

I reckon the 25x25 would be breakable only with tools or placing it between 2 bricks and jumping on it.

But the fact that neither of us could snap it by hand was still bloody impressive.
    Nobody's ever described either of us as a wimp.
    And it did not snap cleanly across a layer line, the break is spread across 2 or three layers.
    Almost perfect layer bonding/

Ie: it's is easily rigid and strong enough to be used as structural parts for whatever you want to build - I'm planning on an all singing and dancing rotary axis for my k40 and maybe a mini-mini delta if that ever becomes more than a daydream lol

But, yeah, this stuff is ridiculously strong
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-06-2020 at 10:41 AM.