Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Newbie] Help assembling the model

Hi all,

I am a total noob but eager to learn. I am building an enclosure for my printed circuit board. I was following a series of tutorials from Autodesk fusion 360 to create the box and the lid around my pcb (designed in Autodesk Eagle). However the tutorial creator never finished the last part of the tutorial, in lieu of which I had to make some 'educated' guesses. The 3D printing service I submitted the files to has commented that the model cannot be assembled as-is - the reason is likely related to the pipe/lip feature around the lid (as pointed in the noted image). Can someone peak at my files to guide me why this model cannot be assembled? I am at lost for next steps. Thanks so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    I too did this following tutorials and Printer this Snap together case.

New Case Layout.jpg

I created both parts and using Fusion 360 these part are created in the same layout though they are separate from one another.
    I can use one model to help me shape the other model. thereby allowing me to size and correctly postilion parts.

I designed my Case from known specs like per-positioned standoffs and size of circuit PCB.
    Then I searched many tutorials to learn how to accomplish each and every single step of the process until completion.

Blue Case.jpg

I should have added the Fan Screw Holes, As you can see on this case I drilled them incorrectly.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 04-26-2020 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    I too did this following tutorials and Printer this Snap together case.New Case Layout.jpgI created both parts and using Fusion 360 these part are created in the same layout though they are separate from one another.I can use one model to help me shape the other model. thereby allowing me to size and correctly postilion parts.I designed my Case from known specs like per-positioned standoffs and size of circuit PCB.Then I searched many tutorials to learn how to accomplish each and every single step of the process until completion.Blue Case.jpgI should have added the Fan Screw Holes, As you can see on this case I drilled them incorrectly.
    Thank you Robert for sharing your work. I was hoping that there may be a quick fix for my model, but guess I should start fresh with tutorials that you followed.

post your work,
    Someone like myself could give it a try or someone with more experience could probably fix it in under a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    post your work, Someone like myself could give it a try or someone with more experience could probably fix it in under a minute.
    Absolutely - the files are available to view and download here:
    https://a360.co/3aE0yUz

I appreciate the willingness to help. Thank you.

Hello I'am Back.

I have a question about your enclosure .

Lid
    Lid.jpg
    Body
    Body.jpg

I noted that you have a Half round indention in your body and a half round pin on your Lid.

How is this suppose to snap together, to me it looks like it is too tight.
    With two sides each having a 1.571mm half round will the 3.142mm snap into place at the corners.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 04-26-2020 at 07:55 PM.

Hi Robert,

Ah! I get it now. Yes, the extra 3.142mm wont even allow the lid to get to the mating indentation. In all honesty, I religiously followed the autodesk tutorial but unfortunately it stops short of creating the half round pins in the lid. So, I had to take a guess and ended up creating the exact mating part to the base.

What would be the recommended radius for the half round pins in the lid? Or should I remove the half round pins from the two long sides. In the end, I need the enclosure to be reasonably fitting - just enough that my lid does not come off with minimal touch/motion.

Thanks so much for all your help. I am really grateful.

If the Body above the Half round was reduced or angled a little this might allow it the snap into place.
    Or
    If they did not come so close to the corners.

This is the reason I used the fingers with round ends to give it flexibility.
    Though it was not one of my best ideals, it been working for 2 years now.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 04-26-2020 at 08:06 PM.

I can shave off some of the material on top the indentation and may be also shrink them away from the corners. Thanks for the tips. I will post back with updates to close this thread. In the meantime if you have any other feedback on my design, please feel free to share. Thanks again Internet stranger for your kindness and help.

I like the design.

I would taper the top edge a little, then give a rounded area to allow a smooth transition into the half round area.
    Kind of a tapered S curve into the locked half round seat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast