Close

Monsterfil PLA - Help !

I don't suppose anyone out there has any experience with Monsterfil PLA do they ?

I'm having real trouble getting good layer adhesion with it and I've run out of ideas...
    - I've printed at speeds from 40mm/s to 90mm/s
    - Varying levels of cooling
    - Temps from 200c to 240c

But... I can just peel the print apart layer by layer afterwards. (Best results so far were at 240c).

The parts look absolutely perfect when they're finished & theres no sign of under extrusion the layers just will not adheer to each other fully !

What I didn't notice until after I bought the filament is that it's sold as 'lubricated' which they say shouldn't cause an issue, but I suspect thats the route cause of the problem.

Has anyone encountered this or similar issues ? I could do with any advice / suggestions possible.

buy something more main stream to eliminate the filament as the issue. eSun is a quality product that is reliable and repeatable spool after spool

I've been running loads of different PLA through, everything else works fine.

I've got about 9kg of this stuff sadly and just can't get it printing well.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    why on earth would anyone 'lubricate' filament ?

How is that NOT going to cause problems.

Get your money back.
    It's clearly not fit for purpose.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-24-2020 at 07:49 AM.

I remember seeing Filament filters and people adding olive oil to them.. Gee Billy Bob, maybe it's gettin stuck in that little hole thingy.. better put some lube on it!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    It depends how they've added 'lubrication'.
    I have some filament that has nano-diamonds mixed in.
    Phenomenally good stuff. The diamonds are small enough so that they lubricate instead of grind.

Not sure if it ever got off the ground commercially. It waa the only fiament that worked reliably in my mini delta with a 0.25mm nozzle.
    The extruder and bowden tube design on the mini delta are less than optimal and the back presure you get on the smaller nozzles just causes constant jams.
    I'll remodel mine at some point and put the tiny nozzle back - but the fact that it worked well with the tiamet ultra diamond filament does prove that CORRECTLY lubricated filaments do make a difference.

But if they've just rubbed some gunk on the outside - then it's just going to cause problems.

What does the lubricant really do?
    Monsterfil filament has a thin layer of lubricant on the filament to allow easy feeding through the tubes and also to help lubricate your extruder. This minimizes the friction between the filament and any surfaces that it touches before entering the nozzle.

Are there any side effects by using the lubricant?
    No, the amount of lubricant used is so low that it does not affect layer adhesion, does not accumulate along the passage of the filament or any other adverse effect on your printed part.
    So, yes they have just rubbed some gunk on the outside.

What you can do is set up a pair of foam rollers covered with microfibre cloths that the filament runs through and hope it wipes the gunk off :-)
    There are filament cleaner designs on thingiverse I remember seeing.

Here's a simple one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2440593

Print it totally solid, Fill that with microfibre cloth and add some isopropyl alcohol and it 'should' clean the filament.

No idea how quick the iso will evaporate or how much gunk it will wipe.

But I suspect that your batch is a cockup and they've added more lube than intended.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-24-2020 at 08:11 AM.